Cannot enter master password with 1PX on 2nd monitor (Chrome)

Options

Here's a (reproducible) oddity...

I have an 2015 27" iMac running Mojave, and I am using 1PX version 1.19.0, and I have a second monitor set up. If I have a Chrome window open on the second monitor and invoke Shift-Cmd-X, the 1PX window opens, but I cannot enter the master password. I can change the focus to the 1PX master password box, but when I try to type into the box, either nothing happens at all, or after a long delay after typing, one or more characters (dots) may appear.

This happens ONLY on the secondary monitor. If I move the Chrome window to the main monitor (my iMac), 1P behaves as it should. This is absolutely reproducible, and happens 100% of the time. Quitting and restarting Chrome, as well as rebooting the iMac, has no effect whatsoever. With Safari and Firefox, there is no issue. Makes sense for Safari, since 1PX doesn't exist for Safari, but when I tried it with 1PX and Firefox, I have no trouble typing the master password into 1PX on the secondary monitor.

Happy to provide more information if it would help.

1Password Version: 7.4.3
Extension Version: 1PX 1.19.0
OS Version: OS X 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1P

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @camner! 👋

It sounds like you're running into a bug in Chromium that causes some lag in extensions that have pop-ups while using an external display. If you're curious about the issue, you're welcome to check it out here.

We've done what we can to help the Chromium team which included making a barebones extension with only a text field in a pop-up just to see if it happened there to. It did, so now we're in a bit of a bind waiting for Chromium to get the issue resolved. I'm sorry I don't have a better solution in the meantime, but the good news is that your Master Password is being typed even though you can't see it. Typing your Master Password and pressing enter allows you to sign in or you can always move the browser window over to your primary display.

• camner
    camner
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks very much for your prompt and lucid reply. It's good to know that it actually is working, even though it doesn't look like it. I must admit I never tried hitting Return since nothing seemed to be happening. I'll give that a whirl.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@camner – You're very welcome! Thank you for your detailed report. It helped me figure out exactly what was going on right off the bat, so I really appreciate it.

I'm actually glad to hear that you never tried hitting return before reporting the issue to us. Normally, I'd never suggest typing your Master Password anywhere that you can't see it, but unfortunately, this bug is one of those rare instances. If you use your primary display next to your secondary monitor, it's fairly easy to move your browser tab over to the primary display. However, if you use your secondary monitor as your only display, it's not nearly as easy to do.

This discussion has been closed.