1Password 7 won't complete update

sevia
sevia
Community Member

I was notified by Apple App Store to update my 1Password 7. Update ran almost to completion but stopped and gave message "Unable to close 1Password7" "the update to 1Password7 couldn't be completed. Try again later".
1Password7 Version 7.4.4 Mac App Store on Mac Catalina 10.15.4
Any suggestions?

Comments

• Hi @sevia

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with getting the App Store to update 1Password. Please try these instructions:

1. Quit Safari
    2. Open and then quit 1Password completely — ⌘⌥⌃Q (Command Option Control Q)
    3. Drag 1Password to the Trash, but DO NOT use a "cleaner" app to remove 1Password if you have one (MacKeeper, CleanMyMac, AppZapper, etc)
    4. Empty the Trash
    5. Restart your Mac
    6. Install 1Password from our website: Download for Mac
    7. Open 1Password
    8. Make sure the extension is shown and enabled in Safari under Preferences > Extensions (do not click "More Extensions")
    9. Verify that you're able to use the extension to fill logins

Let me know how it turns out. :)

Ben

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

I have this issue too. One observation, likely relevant, is that in Activity Monitor, 1Password closes when "quit" is invoked, but the 1Password Extension Helper is unkillable by "quit" or by "force quit". I assume that's what prevents the update from completing. It is unfortunate that deleting the app and reinstalling is what we need to get the current update.

Looking more closely (with kill and kill -9) I now observe that the process is killable, but it immediately respawns itself with a new pid. Any easy way to disable the respawn during an update scenario?

• tolsen718
    tolsen718
    Community Member

This happened to me too with the 1Password 7.5 upgrade. I remember this happening with an earlier 1Password upgrade. Annoying.

• tolsen718
    tolsen718
    Community Member

Ben, I take it from your instructions that you prefer us to use the download directly from the 1Password website as opposed to the App store?

• @bkh

Unchecking 1Password > Preferences > Browsers > Always keep 1Password extension helper running may help, though you'll want to re-enable that in order to use the browser extensions.

Ben

• @tolsen718

In my experience the direct download has less trouble with this situation than the App Store download.

Ben

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

@ben, I can confirm that unchecking "always keep 1Password extension helper running" preference, before running the update, does enable the update to complete properly. And as a step late in the update it automatically pops up a dialog box to re-enable the "always keep running" preference.

Let me suggest an enhancement request: have the update process automatically disable this preference as an early step in the update. (I assume it's too hard to keep that state and re-enable it automatically after the update because of the possible need to unlock 1Password to access the preferences.)

• Thank you for the update and the suggestion! :)

Ben

• sevia
    sevia
    Community Member

Unchecking the "always keep 1Password...." preference did enable my update to complete properly. All seems well. Thank you to Ben and bkh for the near real time fix on this. sevia

• Thanks for the update @sevia. :)

Ben

• Jusacruiser
    Jusacruiser
    Community Member

Hi Ben.....Somehow your instructions worked! But I do have one important follow-up question. After I did all the steps of uninstalling, then downloading the new 1Password 7.7, I had received a message saying "Install Failed," but then when I opened 1Password, I had a successful download to Version 7.7. Should I be worried about the "unsuccessful" message, if somehow everything worked in the end? Thanks! Jonathan

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Jusacruiser:

I think that if everything is working fine now, there is nothing to worry about :) But if you notice anything not working, please do let us know and we will be happy to take a closer look :+1:

• CrazyToro
    CrazyToro
    Community Member
    edited April 2021

Thanks for that tip of unchecking always keep 1Password.... It worked for me as well. Update successful.

• @Jusacruiser

To my understanding that issue has been resolved in one of upcoming betas. Everyone I have talked with was able to open the application. That said, I also received the same message on one of my M1 Macs, where 1Password opened from the Applications folder without issue. I think you'll have the same results. :chuffed:

• @CrazyToro

Sweet! We happy to hear your back up and going now. Let us know if something changes.

• RyderPhoto
    RyderPhoto
    Community Member

I received the "couldn't complete update" with v78.1 while updating my M1 Mac, but update installed without issue on my i7 Mac.
    Resolved and successfully updated on the M1 Mac after unchecking Always keep 1Password extension helper running. All good now.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @RyderPhoto, that's nice to hear :)

This discussion has been closed.