Add port number to URL filter for available logins

ewittle
ewittle
Community Member
edited December 2018 in 1Password in the Browser

I run multiple services available over HTTPS on the same domain. Currently, I can save separate logins for the domain, but when I visit the login page for any of the services on the domain, all username/passwords are listed. It would be nice if the filter logic for which logins are presented based on the URL of the current page considered port number as well as domain.

More specifics. I'm running Jira, Jenkins, and Bitbucket in Kubernetes containers. All are accessible from the top level domain, as follows:

• Jira is available at https://<domain>:<port1>
  • Jenkins is available at https://<domain>:<port2>
  • Bitbucket is available at https://<domain>:<port3>

I can store separate passwords for each, but when I navigate to the login page of any of the three, the list of logins presented when I access 1Password shows all three. It would be slightly more efficient if 1Password would display only the login that matched both the hostname and port, rather than just the hostname.

It seems unlikely to me that, aside from HTTP/HTTPS being on different ports, there would be a frequent occurrence that the same login/password would apply across multiple ports, but perhaps I'm not thinking broadly enough. If that is the case, perhaps a preference option that allows the user to list domains that should treat port as part of the login definition? Granted this is not likely to be of use beyond developers, but based on some of the group discussions in my company, there are a lot of developers who use 1Password.

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: 7.2.2
OS Version: 10.14.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I edited your post to fix the URLs. Since you used pseudo-HTML tags, hey were hidden and didn't make sense to me until I looked at the "source". ;)

I can definitely see how changing 1Password to work that way that would be useful to you and others with a similar workflow. We sometimes get requests for subdomain- and even full-URL-only matching too, so I'm not sure what the right answer is. We don't want to complicate things unless the benefits outweigh all the costs. I don't think it's something we can prioritize over other work at this time since it is a bit of a niche use case, but it's something we'll keep in mind as we develop future versions of 1Password. Thanks for the explanation! :)

• ggenter
    ggenter
    Community Member

Lack of this is one of the things that turned me away from 1password while evaluating it today. Since like original poster said, flexible url matching patterns are something that is really important for professional users. Bitwarden and LastPass have it. So if you want professional users then you should implement this.

• Thanks for the suggestion, @ggenter. :)

Ben

• max_k
    max_k
    Community Member

lack of port number filters is indeed a huge turn down of user experiences. me and my friend were shocked when we find out that 1password can't even tell apart different ports (I mean for developers, that's pretty like basic demand, right? ). and I have noticed that there was a discussion of this way back in 2015, and one of your members noted that you have a feature request vote kind of case. (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/35577/respect-port-numbers-in-url-matching). that's a really long time. I am not sure whether I am able to see this feature being implemented while i'm still alive.. lol..

• Hey @max_k!

We do take our users' feedback to heart, but I just want to clarify we don't have a voting system in place for feature requests. Speaking more generally, if the demand is high for something and it's realistic to implement, we will likely do so, but voting might imply that something needs x number of votes and then it's suddenly in a different category of prioritization for our development team, and that is not how it works. We take note of the volume, of course, but it's not a tally system. It may seem like a trivial distinction, but I felt it was worth expanding on in this case.

At any rate, thank you for the feedback. We'll take it into consideration. :smile:

• jgjverheij
    jgjverheij
    Community Member

I am just started using 1Password, and I am very happy about it. But if flexible url matching patterns will be supported, I will be even more happy. Currently I get a long list with passwords for my domain(s) and if there is a filter for the port-number or subdomain this will be solved.

• Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective on this @jgjverheij. Glad to hear overall you're enjoying 1Password so far.

Ben

• AlexNZ
    AlexNZ
    Community Member

+1, this feature would make my job a lot faster!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know it would help your specific use case. :)

• thwn
    thwn
    Community Member

+1, everything said about the benefits of separating ports. I regularly hit the enter key too fast and provoke a "wrong password" login. No problem for my private use of 1Password, but annoying in a professional environment.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for chiming in and supporting this feature request. :+1:

• alex_h
    alex_h
    Community Member

I would like to toss in my +1 here. I realize this isn't up for vote, but as a developer I have many credentials that differ only by port number. It would be SUPER helpful to include port number when filter by domain. Please and thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing your feedback too :+1: :)

• cmroanirgo
    cmroanirgo
    Community Member

Although a happy 1password user, i did notice how bitwarden has a default matching algorithm that the user can be changed (from "base domain") and allows each login uri entry to also specify a custom match. So, in bw if I set the algo to "starts with" for these troublesome sites with ports, it only shows the relevant ones, which is kind-of perfect.

So maybe 1pw can give us a few more options and we'll spend the time tweaking the results to our liking?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the suggestion @cmroanirgo .
    We're definitely looking into ways to improve things with URL matching. Hopefully we will have some news in the near future!

• KiteFlyer
    KiteFlyer
    Community Member

Get an appropriate exact match now in firefox add when I have multiple logins for same hostname different ports.

Great work 1Password devs! Cheers.

• KiteFlyer
    KiteFlyer
    Community Member

Although now I'm confused, on PC it was fixed with port matching, but mac still uses old matching, I guess mac release is a bit behind.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@KiteFlyer:

While we aim for complete feature parity between Mac and Windows, there are still some differences, but we are working to bring all platforms to the same state :)

And thank you for the kind words!

• cipri_tom
    cipri_tom
    Community Member

Another problem that stems from this is when you only have one of the logins saved in 1password. Pressing cmd+\ will automatically input the wrong uname/pwd combination based on hostname, disregarding that the port does not match.

This is with Firefox extension that requires the desktop app, and 1P v.7.4.3 on macOS.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@cipri_tom:

Indeed, if you only have one login in 1Password and you ask it to fill your credentials on a website, it will fill the only ones it knows of. Can you please clarify why you would invoke 1Password in such a scenario though? It seems to me that if you know that you are storing credentials in 1Password that are not for that website, you could just not call 1Password there. But it is possible that I might be misunderstanding.

• cipri_tom
    cipri_tom
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana and thanks for the reply !

Sure, what you are saying makes sense.

My problem in this phrase : "you ask it to fill your credentials on a website" is the definition of "on a website". Currenlty, 1Password considers www.example.com:3000 and www.example.dom:5000 as being the same website. So when I am on www.example.dom:5000 it will fill in the credentials for www.example.com:3000, which are the ones it knows of. Instead, it should ask me to generate a new password, since it doesn't know about www.example.dom:5000.

Note that the number after the : is the port number which this question proposes to be taken into account for filtering logins.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Understood @cipri_tom, thank you for the clarification! I see what you mean now :+1:

• kimF
    kimF
    Community Member

+1 for the feature request on the MacOS platform.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

+1

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• Hannibal035
    Hannibal035
    Community Member

I really would like to have this feature, having just a home environment synology with Docker. 10 virtual sites on the same ip address with just the port being different. CMD+\ allways gives the wrong credentials! So +1

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Noted :+1: :)

• henkisdabro
    henkisdabro
    Community Member

As a "homelabber", running 20-30 different self-hosted services available via port numbers on the same domain/IP, I've also been frustrated with being shown 50 options in 1Password when attempting to autofill a site. It's starting to become a deal breaker – is there a road map to migrate the port matching feature from the PC version as mentioned available above?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Not at the moment, but I will send your feedback to the developers too @henkisdabro.