I'm really disappointed with the UI and layout of 1Password7. I really liked 1Password6

Options
jhowell275
jhowell275
Community Member

I'm really struggling with 1Password7's UI. To be clear, I'm talking primarily about the "mini" version, since that's what we all interact with 90% of the time. Version 6 was clean, easy to navigate, and allowed me to drill down at a glance. The default view of "categories" made it easy to drill down to secure notes, then click on a specific note, and select text. Or to choose an identity, or a credit card. Now, it's three or four clicks to find the right category, after which, I'm again forced to search for the item I want.

Is there any way to make "categories" the default view, and allow me to navigate like in 1Password6? I keep hoping I just have things misconfigured.

Any plans to go back to the previous version of the UI? Reddit was wise enough to allow people to opt out of the new layout if they chose. . . . any way you can offer us the UI and experience we all liked and were willing to pay for? You've probably noticed there are a number of these forum posts wondering why all the UI changes. . . .

1Password Version: 7.4.3
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OS X 10.15.4
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:revert to 1password6

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jhowell275

There are settings in 1Password > Preferences > Mini that may help get you closer to what you're looking for. There are no plans to go back to v6's UI though.

Thanks.

Ben

• benjibee
    benjibee
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to second this. I've used 1Password since the very beginning, as in beta tests and all, and this structure is just impossible to navigate. Everything I want to see at a glance is hidden, so many useful buttons are buried, etc. I thought this was just me being grumpy and liking the old ways but I just set an office of 30 up with 1Password and was almost embarrassed after promising how intuitive it is having to explain how to actually get to something in the app or why it works that way.

+1

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2020
    Options

Thank you for your feedback too @benjibee :+1: As my colleague Ben wrote, we have no plans to go back to 1Password 6 UI, but there are some settings that can help you customize 1Password mini more to your liking.

• dannyt
    dannyt
    Community Member
    Options

There are NO settings in mini that make it even remotely as usable as it was in v6. Why don't you listen yo your customers and make 1Password mini usable again. It is a true pain in the A** to use now. I honestly don't know what has happened to your company to even let the UI of v7 mini get so BAD, it flat out su** compared to v6.

• Ben
    Options

Hey @dannyt

Please try to understand that not everybody feels the same. We're happy to consider suggestions about how to improve, but we're not going back to v6. Also, this is a family friendly forum, and everybody knows what you mean despite the asterisks. If you want to continue to participate here, please refrain from the profanity. I understand it is frustrating when things aren't going your way, but that sort of language isn't acceptable here. Thanks.

Ben

• dannyt
    dannyt
    Community Member
    Options

That is just it Ben, you and your company are NOT happy to consider any suggestions to improve the UI in v7 mini. People have been complaining and giving constructive suggestions since the introduction of v7. The only answers we keep getting are condescending replies like use short cuts or we'll consider it or we are not going back. What we have never gotten is a reason why it was changed from a very compact, very usable UI with drill down menus to the disaster it is now. Will you and can you explain that to all of us? I have been using 1Password since the beginning singing its praises and lost count of how many people I have turned into your customers but I am dumbfounded as to why you guys are so determined to make using 1Password min so hard to use compared to what it was. Please reconsider your path.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

I agree that 1Pwd7 is not as user friendly as 1Pwd6 was; unfortunately Agile is tending to act more like MS & Apple in their disdain of what users want and need. However, looking at the preferences we are RESTRICTED to only three options in the "Open 1Password to" menu: "Suggestions", "Favorites", or "All Items". It can't be hard to allow "Categories", or even the Sub-Categories like "Logins" to be marked as "Favorites".

• Ben
    Options

I'm really truly sorry that we've made you folks feel that way. But I also don't think it is fair to say we haven't been listening to or acting on user feedback. The "open 1Password to" menu that romad mentioned didn't exist when 1Password 7 first launched, but we built it based on user input. And perhaps there is additional room for expansion there as you've suggested.

Major UI changes generally don't happen in-between major versions of software... e.g. they normally don't come in a "dot release." They tend to come in major version releases, like v7. Perhaps whatever big release comes next will be more to your taste. The reason we don't move backward is because we make these changes based on user feedback. If everything were sunshine and rainbows in v6 then we wouldn't have changed it. Most often we don't go out of our way to make work for ourselves. :)

As for the logic behind the current design: the primary purpose of 1Password mini is to quickly and efficiently get people to the items most relevant to what they are currently viewing. This is the whole point behind the default 'suggestions' selection in the 'open 1Password to' preference. It only shows you what 1Password sees as most relevant to what you're currently doing, which is the core purpose of mini.

Ben

• EuroTrash
    EuroTrash
    Community Member
    Options

+1 That 1Pv6 UI > 1Pv7 UI. I am constantly cursing IPv7's awkwardness. I know that its tough to keep things simple... but 1Pv7 introduced a notable level of irritation and frustration that I never experienced with v6.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben wrote:
    "This is the whole point behind the default 'suggestions' selection in the 'open 1Password to' preference."

Except that doesn't work when a site changes their login URL path from say "www.domain.com" which is remembered by 1PWD to something like "login.domain.com" (which I've had happen many times). If the "Categories" item could be added to the default selection menu or the "Logins" item could be marked as a "Favorite" it would make things faster/easier to find the login item needed.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@romad:

Except that doesn't work when a site changes their login URL path from say "www.domain.com" which is remembered by 1PWD to something like "login.domain.com"

1Password looks at the domain part of the URL to decide what logins to suggest to you. Therefore, even if a website changes its login URL to login.doman.com, the entry should still be suggested by 1Password. If you find that this is not the case for a specific website, please let us know so we can test it. Thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the feedback @EuroTrash! We appreciate you taking the time to write it :)

This discussion has been closed.