how do I export my vault on android *without* a master password?

newusername
newusername
Community Member

I forgot my master password and only have access to my passwords via my android phone.

I'd like to export my vault without a master password so that I could import them again on my computer. How can I do this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @newusername! Welcome to the forum!

You need your Master Password to unlock your data and export it. For your privacy and security, your Master Password is not stored anywhere, only you know it. This means that it is not possible to recover it unless you are a member of a Families or Business accounts. If you have an Individual account or a standalone license, I recommend reading this article to try and recover your Master Password.

If, on the other hand, you are part of a Families or Business account, you can ask another Admin to recover your account for you.

If you still cannot recover your Master Password, we can certainly delete your account so you can create a new one with a new Master Password you know.

• newusername
    newusername
    Community Member

@ag_ana you did not understand my question. I did not want to recover my master password and I did not ask that question. I wanted to know how to generate a backup on my unlocked android that does not use a master password.

For others that may find themselves in the same situation this is what I did. I truly hope that this workaround is never broken by product changes.

For background this is the situation I was in:

• one laptop with zero access
    • one android phone with an unlocked vault; not logged in to any account

I only use an on-device vault and do not use 1password syncing features normally.

(A) On the android phone create a new 1password account (i.e., subscribe)
    (B) On the android phone move the existing passwords from the on-device vault to the new account based vault
    (C) On the laptop reset 1password to a clean state
    (D) On the laptop log into the new account.

At this point you should have two devices both with your passwords. Further actions are to get back to a normal state

(E) On the laptop move the passwords back to a local vault
    (F) Re-set-up syncing using dropbox or any other normal sync provider.
    (G) On the android phone delete all data via the system (you can't do this via 1password since it asks for the master p/w)
    (H) Re-set-up syncing via dropbox or any other normal sync provider

Other things that may be useful if you're in this state:
    on the android phone before you have a chance to do the above

• go into security settings and make sure the phone will never lock you out (no timeouts, etc.)
    • enable biometric auth
  • ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2020

@newusername:

Thank you for the clarification and for sharing the steps that worked for you with us! Hopefully they will be useful to other users with the same question :) But the best solution to this problem is to never forget the Master Password in the first place, so that is what we recommend.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• frett
    frett
    Community Member

Isn't this a security flaw? Should you be able to do all this without the Master Password???

• @frett If you have 1Password unlocked (as newusername did), you have access to the data inside, and can indeed move it between vaults.

• frett
    frett
    Community Member

@peri Thanks for pointing that out! I obviously skipped right over that detail when I read it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

No worries @frett :)

This discussion has been closed.