Why is the 1Password Icon blinking in my Firefox toolbar?

Options
dsalomon
dsalomon
Community Member

I’ve been using 1password for years. This morning (Mar 26, 2019) I noticed the icon blinking in the Firefox toolbar. This useful browser extension no longer works.

I use 1password ver. 6.8.9 (689001), bought from the AgileBits Store. Firefox ver. 66.0.1 (64 bits), and Mac OS 10.10.5.

I have read the questions and answers in URL:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/86084/why-is-the-1password-icon-blinking-in-my-firefox-toolbar

These are from January 2018. I also followed the steps suggested by @Lars

Make sure your version of 1Password is up-to-date. 
Remove the 1Password extension in Firefox.

Quit 1Password and 1Password mini”.
Restart Firefox.
Install a new copy of the latest 1Password extension
Reopen 1Password

Unfortunately, these didn’t work for me. Any ideas?

Regards, dsalomon

1Password Version: 6.8.9 (689001)
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Mac OS 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dsalomon: That's definitely not normal -- unless you have some other software interfering. :)

The "blinking" is trying to connect to the browser and failing repeatedly, or being outright blocked. I'd start with installing a fresh copy of 1Password and Firefox, in case either is damaged (which would invalidate the code signature used in the security check):

1. Quit 1Password Completely -- Command Option Control Q
    2. Drag 1Password and Firefox to the Trash -- DO NOT use a "cleaner" app!
    3. Restart your Mac
    4. Install 1Password: https://1password.com/downloads/ -- if you haven't paid for version 7, scroll down to get version 6
    5. Install Firefox: https://firefox.com

Let me know how it goes. :)

P.S: You may want to consider upgrading, as Apple has discontinued support for Yosemite, so it won't be getting important security improvements. And the same will happen with browsers before long too. You'd be able to run the latest OS, browser, and 1Password on a current system, and that has a lot of benefits beyond security as well. :)

• dsalomon
    dsalomon
    Community Member
    Options

It worked. I am the happiest. Never realized how useful 1password is. Unfortunately, I cannot immediately upgrade my OS beyond 10.10 because I use an old version of the great typesetting software TeX. This implementation of TeX is no longer supported and I like it much. I'll try to upgrade when I finish writing my current book.

Many thanks Brenty. Each individual bit of AgileBits is the greatest.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I understand completely! I'm pretty good about navigating digital stuff, but I think there's maybe a metaphor here with something like and old truck you're stuck with until you move to somewhere you don't need four wheel drive: the right tool for one job can sometimes hold us back in other ways. It's all about choices and tradeoffs, and I wish you the best as you work on your book! That's really amazing! :chuffed:

Anyway, you're very welcome, and that's a super kind thing to say -- and a cool way of putting it! Indeed, I'm fortunate enough to work with a diverse group of really great people...and you and the rest of our awesome customers! Thanks so much for your support. We're here if you need us. :chuffed:

• khalil
    khalil
    Community Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

@brenty second-time in here. I made an account on this forum just to thank you for your answer.
    But I still find it tedious to have to:
    1. remove/uninstall my browser
    2. remove/uninstall 1password application
    3. do a complete OS reboot
    4. re-install my browser
    5. re-install 1Password application
    6. re-install the browser extension
    All this trouble every time to just update a simple browser extension.

I think 1Password / AgileBits should make it so you can simply remove the extension and re-install it and then restart your browser application at most.
    Or better yet just update the browser extension from the browser like all other extensions.
    And that is it.. it should work then.

Anything beyond that is just crazy and very unfriendly and a lot of people would even consider moving to the LastPass, FirefoxSuperSecure or whatever else is out there just because of this specific issue.

TL;DR

Updating the browser extension is a pain in the [a]55 please please do something about it 1Password/AgileBits and I'm not the only one.

Cheers,

Khalil

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@khalil:

On behalf of brenty, you are welcome!

Updating the browser extension is a pain in the [a]55 please please do something about it 1Password/AgileBits and I'm not the only one.

The browser extension should update automatically. If that doesn't happen for you, we can take a closer look. Did this happen with the latest update only, or have you experienced this more than once?

This discussion has been closed.