1Password X keyboard shortcut doesn't work in Chrome app mode

I use Epichrome on macOS to create some single-page apps, using Chrome or Brave as the browser engine. In single-page app mode, the 1Password X keyboard shortcut does not open the 1Password X window, making it impossible to unlock 1Password X.

This can be replicated without using the Epichrome tool to create a single-page app.

1. Launch Chrome using the --app flag, eg. /Applications/Google\ Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS/Google\ Chrome --app="https://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin"
  2. The browser is launched at the given URI, with no address bar or toolbar shown.
  3. Click the login username field. The 1Password X icon is shown on the right side of the field.
  4. Click the 1Password X icon in the field. This opens a small window/drawer below the field, which says to press the Cmd+Shift+X shortcut to unlock 1Password X.
  5. Pressing the shortcut has no effect.

If running the same browser in normal mode, there are no issues - when pressing the shortcut, the 1Password X window is anchored to the extension icon in the toolbar. As the toolbar and the extension icons are not shown when running in app mode, I believe this might be the cause of the 1Password X window failing to show.

I hope it's possible for 1Password X to detect when the browser is running in app mode, and show its window floating on the page. This is the behaviour using the classic extension in the same scenario.

Thanks,
ChrisM

Steps above replicated on macOS 10.15.4, Chrome 81.0.4044.138, 1Password X 1.19.0

(Sorry if already posted, I've tried forum search and Google search and can't find anything which matches this issue (although there are a lot of results related to "keyboard shortcut"!)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.19.0
OS Version: macOS 10.15.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hi @chrisminett! I really appreciate the detailed report. I've filed an issue in regards to this in the past, so I'll go ahead and let our developers know that you've run into it as well. Unfortunately, I was never able to find a workaround other than making sure that 1Password X is unlocked prior to opening the window without a toolbar. I'm not sure what that'll look like using Epichrome, as I'm not familiar with that tool.

ref: dev/core/core#353

• mayostard
    mayostard
    Community Member

I'll second @chrisminett here. I've run into this problem as well, and would love a solution if there's one to be found. Thanks @kaitlyn for the update from your side of things! good to know it's on your radar.

• chrisminett
    chrisminett
    Community Member

Thanks @kaitlyn ! I've found a couple of workarounds, neither of which are very smooth but get the job done:

• Use the Cmd+T shortcut to open a new tab. As the main window is in app mode, this forces Chrome to open a new window to show the new tab, where the address bar and extension icons are visible, so the 1Password X window can be displayed and unlocked using the shortcut or clicking the icon. Then close the new tab to go back to the original app window to use the now-unlocked 1Password X icon in the login field.
    • Specifically for Epichrome, press Epichrome's own Cmd+Shift+L shortcut which changes the current single-app window to a standard window with an address bar. From there you can unlock 1Password X, and use the Epichrome shortcut again to switch back to a single-app window. (This switching of modes comes with a bit of flicker and resizing of the current window as it's re-rendered, so I end up using another shortcut to resize the window back to where I had it originally!)

Look forward to hopefully one day seeing an update for this, but glad to hear that it's been reported! Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing these with us @chrisminett! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.