bell.ca Login Autofill Only Partially Works

ings
ings
Community Member
edited May 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

This problem has been around for months, if not years, but I did not report it earlier, figuring that eventually 1Password "brain" updates would address it.

Autofill (in macOS Safari and macOS Chrome) does not work at https://mybell.bell.ca/Login. It can fill only one field (username or password) at a time, so you end up having to (manually) run autofill twice, and sometimes you also have to position the cursor in the password field before you run autofill a second time.

Presumably this is due to weird JS code by Bell, but is there anything the "brain" can do to handle this? I've tried relearning the site with the latest macOS 1Password, but this did not fix it.

Thanks.

Dave Ings

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2020

Hey @ings! 👋

Thanks for getting in touch. Looking at the code on the MyBell site, the password field remains in a read-only state until it's clicked. Here's what the HTML looks like for the password field:

I'm afraid there isn't much we can do to fill a field that's in a read-only state. I would argue that this is the best decision, because filling read-only fields could lead to a multitude of issues on other websites. However, once focus is placed inside the password field, the read-only state is removed, and that's why you're able to fill at that point.

All that said, we do offer another extension that behaves a bit differently. That extension is able to tickle this page just right in order to fill the password field without having to click inside of it. If you're interested, and if you have a 1Password.com account, you're welcome to give 1Password X a try. Granted, it's only available for Chrome and Firefox, so it wouldn't be an option in Safari.

I hope that helps provide some clarity for you. We'll be here if you have any other questions.

• ings
    ings
    Community Member

Thanks for the prompt and clear response.

Is there any way for AgileBits to provide login page design feedback to Bell's web development team?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ings:

We have a support article which I think would be useful here:

Design your website to work best with 1Password

• ings
    ings
    Community Member

FWIW I tweeted this link to @bell_support and asked them to consider fixing it. Let's see if they bite! :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good @ings! :+1: Fingers crossed :)

This discussion has been closed.