can't paste into master password field

Doctor_Dan
Doctor_Dan
Community Member

I have more information about this problem.
When launching the 1PW app, if I get a master password prompt, I can paste into the field.
If I am filling a form and click the password item at the top of the keyboard and the master password prompt is displayed, I cannot paste into the field because tapping in the field does not display the paste bubble.

I don't know whether this is Apple's doing or yours but if there is some way that you can override this and display the paste option it would be a big help. Also, I frequently encounter the situation that when attempting to enter the master password ( is scenario) what I type is rejected over and over as being incorrect. If I launch the app and type the same string, it is accepted.

Although this may also be Apple's doing, I'm inclined to think it is something that you have done. Needless to say, it is quite exasperating to have to type the same complex string over and over, only to have it rejected each time.

I must say that for me this behavior, whether it is a bug or a feature, is so much of a problem that every time I encounter it, my first thought is whether I should dump the app and find something else.

As you must know from some of my previous requests for help, I have a short fuse when I'm trying to use the app under a situational or time pressure and can't immediately gain access in order do what I need to do. If there is any way that you can fix these problems, I would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Dan Essin

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:can't paste into master password field

Comments

• Doctor_Dan
    Doctor_Dan
    Community Member

btw - this is an iPhone 11 with the 13.5 update.
    also, since Apple will let you into the phone with FaceID, I don't understand why FaceID can't let you into 1PW. Even if it's a cold boot after an update, Apple only requires the PIN code once and then immediately enables FaceID after that. 1PW give me the master password prompt many times when FaceID works for anything else

• Hi @Doctor_Dan

also, since Apple will let you into the phone with FaceID, I don't understand why FaceID can't let you into 1PW. Even if it's a cold boot after an update, Apple only requires the PIN code once and then immediately enables FaceID after that. 1PW give me the master password prompt many times when FaceID works for anything else

You only need to enter the Master Password into the 1Password app once each boot if you have Face ID enabled, but it has to be in the 1Password app, not the autofill extension. At present the autofill extension doesn't have the capability of storing the required secret in the keychain — only the 1Password app does.

don't know whether this is Apple's doing or yours but if there is some way that you can override this and display the paste option it would be a big help.

The only way I can think to do that would be to use our interface instead of the autofill one. I just tested this, and when using our interface I do see a paste option. If you enable 1Password > Settings > Advanced > Security > Always show lock screen for password autofill you'll get our UI. That may have other complications, but again that is the only way I know of to change this behavior.

Please let me know how that turns out.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.