username doesn't update when changed

Options
skeo
skeo
Community Member

I've been going through watchtower and changing many of my login passwords.
Simple process:

• click link in 1Password
  • login
  • change password dialogue
  • 1Password shortcut -> generate password -> copy and fill
  • Usually I get a dialogue box telling me to update the 1Password entry
    • if not, logout and log in again and I get the box
    • if not, manually update entry (annoying)

Through this process, I have occasionally also updated the email attached to accounts, which updates the username for the login, but no matter what I do, I can't get 1Password to automatically update the username entry. Even when I have clearly logged in with a different username.

On a similar note, I have at least one account where 1Password will autofill the pw, but not the username. I have no idea why it isn't working and I can't find any way to debug it. Help?

1Password Version: 7.5
Extension Version: 7.4.3
OS Version: macOS 10.15.4
Sync Type: 1Password account
Referrer: forum-search:username doesn't update

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2020
    Options

Hey @skeo ,

1Password's prompt to update an existing login will only show up if it detects a different password. It doesn't work on different usernames, in which case you'll have to manually edit the username of the login in the app (or change both the username and password on the website, then log in with the new ones and it will update both when prompted).

You can force an update for a login's details by clicking the extension icon on the top toolbar of the browser, then clicking the grey gear icon on the top right and selecting "New Login". That will trigger that prompt even if you just changed the username.

If you have a membership account and are using a browser that is not Safari, you can give 1Password X a try, which should notice different usernames as well and offer to save/update them: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

Regarding the website that doesn't autofill, post the URL here so I can test it for you and see what I can find.

• skeo
    skeo
    Community Member
    Options

The "new login" tip is a good one thanks! I do use 1Password X at work, but my primary browser at home is safari, which is where I've been working through the watchtower list. Perhaps I'll look at switching to firefox for this particular exercise.

• skeo
    skeo
    Community Member
    Options

The website that the username isn't working for me is a private webserver I'm running at home. Can I PM you somehow about it?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @skeo ,
    Sure thing.

Send us an email to support+extension@1password.com with a link to this discussion and an explanation of the issue with the URL of your private webserver.

This discussion has been closed.