Manually configure username and password fields?

Is it possible to manually configure username and password fields that 1Password will look for and use to fill? I have an employee portal that I saved login details for, but 1Password can't seem to fill the password input box, is it possible to tell 1Password what to look for in the DOM so it can fill it properly?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @smbeaudry

I'm sorry to hear 1Password isn't filling this form as expected. Is there a URL where we can see the form? I'd like to take a look and see if there is a way in which we could handle it better.

Thanks!

Ben

• smbeaudry
    smbeaudry
    Community Member

Thanks for the quick response Ben! I'm afraid the site is hosted internally, so there's no way to share the live page. Let me know what else I can provide you to help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@smbeaudry:

You could try saving the login manually in the browser. When something is not filling on a specific website, this technique usually helps.

• smbeaudry
    smbeaudry
    Community Member

Thanks ag_ana, but those instructions are not for 1PasswordX. However, saving the login on the page itself did not seem to resolve the issue.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @smbeaudry ,

If you're using 1Password X, you can copy the field's name from its HTML code (name="SomeFieldName"), then use that field's name as a custom field in the login entry in 1Password:
    1. Open 1Password on the top right corner of your browser.
    2. Click the login item of this website to highlight it, then click on "Edit" at the bottom.
    3. A new tab will open where you can edit this login entry. Under the username, password and URL fields there's an empty section. Click an empty label and paste the field's name in it.
    4. Under the labe, input your password in the empty new field.
    5. Click the three dots icon on the far right side of the field to change the field's type as necessary. If it is a password field in the HTML code (type="password"), then change the field's type from Text to Password.
    6. Click on "Save" at the bottom, then try to autofill now. If 1Password will be able to match a custom field's name to an existing field on the website, it will fill the content of the custom field in most cases.

You can view a field's HTML code by right clicking the inside of the field and selecting "Inspect". If these steps were unsuccessful, take a screenshot of that field's HTML code and post it here so we can figure out if there's another way.

• smbeaudry
    smbeaudry
    Community Member

Thanks for the instructions Yaron, but I still seem to be having the same issue. As requested, here are images of the page and 1Password's record. For security reasons, I have blurred out some sensitive details.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the screenshots @smbeaudry .
    You did everything correctly and this should work in most cases, but if it didn't then there's probably a strange setup or javascript going on in that page that is preventing 1Password from focusing and filling that password field.

Are you able to save an offline archived version of the login page? If so, please send it to us to support+extension@1password.com with a link to this discussion here and we'll take a look and see if there's any other way to make it work.

• smbeaudry
    smbeaudry
    Community Member

Thanks Yaron, I've sent the email. :)

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @smbeaudry !
    We'll be with you as soon as we get a chance to investigate :chuffed:

• smbeaudry
    smbeaudry
    Community Member

A big thanks to the 1Password team for all the timely help!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

It is our pleasure!

This discussion has been closed.