Keyboard shortcut for filling passwords

Been a long-time user of 1P. Mostly on OSX until recently.
On OSX, IIRC you could actually enter your preferred key combination and it would record it.

On Windows, there is only a preset list of shortcuts.
There is only one keyboard shortcut on the left side of the keyboard, the backslash. I browse with my left hand on the keyboard and right hand on the mouse so all the other shortcuts are counter intuitive.

I have two questions : One, is it possible (or in the planning to change this to the way OSX does it? (Like games do when configuring controls)) or is there a reason it has to be like this? I'd like to change it to a shortcut on the left side of the keyboard.
Secondly, on the list, there's an entry at the bottom "[226]". What key is that?

1Password Version: 7.4.767
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Win 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mbooth!

What keyboard shortcut would you like to use? I would like to see if there is something specific that we can suggest to you. Thank you!

• mbooth
    mbooth
    Community Member

Hi ag_ana

Ideally, I'd like to use the key above my tab button, next to numeral one (with a CTRL modifier)
    Key : `
    Shift + Key ¬

It just feels easier on my hands.
    I know this is such a non-issue, so thank you for replying :)

• bundtkate
    edited May 2020

Are you using a standard U.S. keyboard layout, @mbooth? I ask because ` actually is an option for me and I don't see that [226] at all. Plus, you're just about in the location in the list where I see ` and yet it's not there for you. Beyond that, though, your modifiers are showing in all caps whereas mine are lowercase. So, in short, I'm wondering if maybe you've got a slightly different keyboard layout where perhaps the key codes we use are being misinterpreted. That option should be there so we don't even need to add it, but instead figure out why the heck it isn't feeling like showing up.

• mbooth
    mbooth
    Community Member

I hadn't thought of that!!!

I've just checked and I'm using a default UK layout, which takes it from the Language setting in Windows 10.

• So that is probably the issue, @mbooth, but I can't say I have a great suggestion for a fix. The way keyboard shortcuts are handled is that they're set using key codes based on the position of said keys on your keyboard rather than the character itself. I suspect something is going awry there and not all of your keys are being properly recognized as a result, but I'm fairly certain we get info about available keys from Windows so this may not necessarily be something we can fix.

One possible workaround is to select the U.S. keyboard layout in Windows Settings (assuming that's not going to otherwise break things), but keep UK English as the language on your PC. In an effort to figure out just how different UK layout is from what I'm used to, I took a Wikipedia journey that taught me this apparently wasn't always possible, but it totally is now. I know Windows does default to matching your keyboard layout to your language selection, but that isn't always the appropriate choice so if it makes sense to try this, it may be of help.

Let me know what you think, though. If that isn't going to work, there may well be other options I'm just not thinking of and I'd be happy to do some digging and figure it out. :+1:

• mbooth
    mbooth
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

Hi bundtkate,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I think I may be stuck twisting my hand a little more and using backslash as the key. It's not the end of the world :)
    Can I just confirm that I'm not going crazy, and the Mac version of 1Password is slightly different in that you can enter your own key combination (like choosing keyboard controls in games), rather than a simple drop down list of preset choices like Windows?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mbooth:

Yes, in 1Password for Mac you can enter your keyboard shortcut by typing it :+1:

This discussion has been closed.