"1Password 7 wants to use 1password.com to sign in"

avit
avit
Community Member

I'm seeing this dialog now after using 1Password to sign in to websites using the browser extension and desktop app:

"1Password 7" wants to use 1password.com to sign in

I believe this is new since the 7.5 update. It's not clear what this is for—or why I should trust it. I already have a 1Password cloud account on 1password.com and my computer is already authorized to use it (still working as always), so what is this for?

1Password Version: 7.5
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OS X 10.15.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:"1Password 7 wants to use 1password.com to sign in"

Comments

• Hi @avit

I'd be happy to help you track that down. Would you be able to provide a screenshot of the message, please?

▷ How to take a screenshot

Ben

• avit
    avit
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

Thanks Ben, here is what it looks like.

The message text in case someone else searches for it: "This allows the app and website to share information about you."

...which in its vagueness does not sound desirable to me!

I'm curious about the Safari icon, since I don't use Safari but Firefox. Is this message from the OS, or 1Password app?

• @avit

I'm chatting with one of my colleagues about this and we're both scratching our heads as to where this message would be coming from. Did you perhaps open 1Password > Preferences > Accounts > [your account] and click on the billing status (e.g. 'subscribed')?

Ben

• Hutch01
    Hutch01
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

I see this pop up as well on Mac, Chrome with plugin version 4.7.5.90 and app version 7.5

My guess that this is something to do with a 2FA request. I seem to think that from time to time I have to do a DUO push in some places...this doesn't stop me using 1Password but I think it might have something to do with syncing the latest updates from the vault. Just guessing I don't really know.

That said I agree the pop up looks odd, why is it using the Safari icon?

• @Hutch01

To confirm: you're using Duo for 2FA for your 1Password.com account? @avit are you also using Duo for 1Password?

Ben

• Hutch01
    Hutch01
    Community Member

Yes, I have 2FA enabled on my 1Password account and yes I use DUO for this purpose.

• @Hutch01,

You're going to want to hit continue on that dialog otherwise there's a very good chance any items you're creating won't be synced to/from that device with your account.

• Hutch01
    Hutch01
    Community Member

Yes, I can see that new entries created on this device are not synced with other devices.

I mainly wanted confirmation that this is what that pop up was given the message and logo. Perhaps it is a macos dialog and not under 1Password app control?

• Hutch01
    Hutch01
    Community Member

Is there a way in the 1Password app to initiate the DUO/2FA step when needed or is the only option to wait for the pop up to request it?

• @Hutch01,

It is an OS prompt, and we don't have the ability to customize it at all. If its prompting you and you're hitting cancel then that would be why it continues to prompt you, you don't have a valid 2FA handshake with the server until you hit continue and do the Duo 2FA step. The rate at which it will then ask you to approve that connection in the future is determined by your Duo Team Administrator.

• Hutch01
    Hutch01
    Community Member

Understood, thanks for the help.

• avit
    avit
    Community Member

Thanks all for the extra info everyone.

Yes, same here @Ben, also using DUO for 2FA.

@rudy when you say "you don't have a valid 2FA handshake with the server" I assume you mean the site I am logging into? Or my 1password.com account subdomain?

I'd just like to understand which app/service is asking for what here—and what is 1Password trying to do with my 2FA if I'm not using it for that, but rather DUO.

• @avit,

Your 1Password.com account subdomain, it has to load a page on 1Password.com in order to perform the Duo 2FA auth for your account.

• To add to what Rudy said: it doesn't have anything to do with the page you happen to be visiting, and rather everything to do with authorizing your installation of 1Password for Mac with your 1Password account using Duo. This needs to happen in order for the software on your computer to download your encrypted data from 1Password.com. Is that more clear?

Ben

• avit
    avit
    Community Member

Got it, that makes more sense now. Thanks!

• Glad to hear that helped explain. You're very welcome. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.