Importing a Data Guardian DB

dpasewark
dpasewark
Community Member
edited December 1969 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
Hi,
I'm looking to import a Data Guardian DB. You say you support that, but I don't see that option in the Import Assistant. I would really like to make the move away from Data Guardian and use 1password exclusively. Please advise.

Thanks,
D.

Comments

• MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Welcome to the forums, D.

We no longer provide a fixed import for Data Guardian because it has become more flexible than in the past. We list it because we know that what can be done does work so well. I'll see if we can make a notation in our documentation to make this a little clearer.

Here's a screenshot from Data Guardian, set to export a file for us to use:

http://img.skitch.com/20100510-rdh6fcaiy7y1q9sqhjsyc1h78f.jpg

Here's how it would look in the final stage of the 1Password Import Assistant to matchup with the exported Data Guardian file:

http://img.skitch.com/20100510-fjt78hsnwqjwd7dq7t44tjqhmm.jpg
  • dpasewark
    dpasewark
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Well, I output the file .csv file, went to 1pass import file, selected generic text, set my delimiter to comma with item type login, set all my import field to he appropriate field or if there was no match, then notes one. I imported over 900 items and none of them made any sense after import, usually just a url or a password by itself, nothing was grouped together. So I had to delete them all.

Too bad too, cause I would like to use 1password.

MartyS wrote:
    Welcome to the forums, D.

We no longer provide a fixed import for Data Guardian because it has become more flexible than in the past. We list it because we know that what can be done does work so well. I'll see if we can make a notation in our documentation to make this a little clearer.

Here's a screenshot from Data Guardian, set to export a file for us to use:

http://img.skitch.com/20100510-rdh6fcaiy7y1q9sqhjsyc1h78f.jpg

Here's how it would look in the final stage of the 1Password Import Assistant to matchup with the exported Data Guardian file:

http://img.skitch.com/20100510-fjt78hsnwqjwd7dq7t44tjqhmm.jpg
  • MikeT
    edited December 1969
    dpasewark,

If you are okay with this, can you send us the first 4-5 lines of the CVS file, change the password/username but don't change the overall structure of them. What I mean by structure is that, if the login is Mike T, don't change to steveJ or steve_j, make it Steve J. Send it to support AT agile DOT ws.
  • dpasewark
    dpasewark
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Sure thing. It's sent.

Thanks.
  • MikeT
    edited December 1969
    dpasewark wrote:
    Sure thing. It's sent.

Thanks.

Got it, and sent you a reply. I'll update this thread if we find a solution.
  • dpasewark
    dpasewark
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I sent over the seond verion of the .csv file.

Thanks for the help!
  • MikeT wrote:

Got it, and sent you a reply. I'll update this thread if we find a solution.

Updates?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, billdotd. Eight months ago we received the sample CSV files, but communication was not reciprocated beyond our first couple replies. One of the initial issues was not having the export from Data Guardian set up exactly as Marty showed in his post above.

20100510-rdh6fcaiy7y1q9sqhjsyc1h78f.jpg

As Marty also mentioned, the fields need to be correctly matched during the import to 1Password which was another issue the original poster had.

20100510-fjt78hsnwqjwd7dq7t44tjqhmm.jpg

That said, with enough custom fields it may be very difficult to achieve a perfect one-to-one import since Data Guardian allows for a more "loose" data structure. :S

At this time, 1Password imports all data as either Logins (with a URL) or Secure Notes (freeform text). (You can also import Software Licenses, but that is a special case.)

Are you attempting a Data Guardian import? Please let me know.
This discussion has been closed.