1Password opens about halfway off the left edge of my secondary monitor

Hi, back in this thread I had a problem with the 1Password window opening about halfway off the left edge of my secondary monitor. The issue was fixed in a trial version you had me download so I've been waiting for the fix to roll out in a release version but am still having the problem. Thought I'd better check in since it's still doing the same thing reported in the earlier thread, though now I'm running version 7.4.767.
I normally launch 1PW from my primary monitor and then the window opens off the left edge of the secondary monitor (instead of the center of the screen where I move it before closing its window). If I click the 1PW icon to launch it and get the mouse pointer over to the secondary monitor quickly enough or launch it from the secondary monitor taskbar, the window shows up centered as expected. Thanks for any help, I love 1PW!

1Password Version: 7.4.767
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Win 10 Pro 1909
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @puget_sounder!

I think this specific issue was resolved in version 7.4.758:

On certain multiple-monitor setups, locking and unlocking would sometimes offset the main 1Password window a bit. {OPW-4586}

However, it looks like it has reappeared for you in the latest version. Are you able to consistently reproduce this? Do you see the same behavior even after rebooting your computer?

• puget_sounder
    puget_sounder
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana; yes the behavior persists after reboot. The only time it has not done this since it started sometime late last year was when I tested the trial exe from the initial thread noted above.
    I update 1PW whenever one is pushed out (including betas) and it still does it every time I launch, whether it's right after a reboot, from the unlocked state, or locked state. If I had 7.4.758 it didn't stop for me. Very mysterious, right? Thanks for your help!

• puget_sounder
    puget_sounder
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana, here is another behavior I just found: if I click the 1PW Firefox extension button, then right-click the current login info (like for this forum), and click either "view in 1Password" or "edit in 1Password" the 1PW window opens partway offscreen but then a moment (maybe a long moment) later snaps over to the correct position.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @puget_sounder,

Could you please clarify how do you open 1Password on your PC? Do you open the main app or 1Password mini? Or do you use a keyboard shortcut to open 1Password extension in the browser?

Also, is this the lock window that appears "partway offscreen"?

The lock screen should show up next to your mouse cursor and you do not have to move it. Once you enter your Master Password on the lock screen and unlock the app, the main window should appear in the last location you left it.

Please let us know. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• puget_sounder
    puget_sounder
    Community Member

Hi @Greg, I open the main app by clicking a shortcut on my taskbar. The unlock screen appears on-screen next to my mouse cursor as expected. After unlocking, the main app screen opens about halfway off the left edge of my secondary monitor.
    Same thing happens if I use the shortcut in the start menu, or if I use the ctrl+shift+\ hotkey.
    If I open 1PW mini using the system tray icon or hotkey it opens at the mouse cursor.
    The main windows opens at the same vertical location as I had left it, but horizontally it is about halfway off the left edge of the screen.
    Thanks

• Does this behavior persist every time you close 1Password regardless of whether or not you lock it, @puget_sounder? That is, if you follow these steps, does it still open in the wrong spot:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Move it to where you want it.
    3. Click the X to close.
    4. Bring it up again using the Ctrl + Shift + \ shortcut.

What about if you choose 1Password > Exit instead of clicking the X, and relaunch 1Password from Start rather than using your shortcut? The fix you tested is out so you should have it, which means I'm wondering if either a) there's something new that's cropped up more specific to your setup or b) perhaps something about how you open 1Password triggers different behavior than what we may have tested.

Give it a go and let me know what you find. :+1:

• puget_sounder
    puget_sounder
    Community Member

Hi @bundtkate, yes every time. Same thing using the second method too. Now I'm wondering if the fix really worked for me. At that time I don't think I had figured out that if I either hotkey or shortcut launch it while my mouse pointer is on the secondary monitor it would work properly. Since I initially loaded it with file explorer on the secondary monitor (where I use file explorer 99% of the time) I may have used the shortcut on the secondary monitor taskbar to bring the main screen back up, which likely (based on how it's behaving now) caused to display properly. Sorry, I can't recall for sure.
    My secondary monitor is in portrait mode; I just tried changing it to landscape (in Windows display settings) to see if it made a difference and it seemed to work as expected although my brain had a hard time making the mouse go in the proper direction. Could it be related to that? Thanks!

• Quite possibly could be related, @puget_sounder. The trouble with restoring the proper position for your main window is that it's fairly simple and uses x, y coordinates which are stored in your local database. That working properly means 1Password having a proper understanding of your monitors' configuration. In landscape, the long measure is the width and the short one the height, while it's the opposite in portrait. Sounds to me like 1Password might not be understanding that monitor is in portrait mode and is positioning your windows as though that long measure is still the width like in landscape.

Alas, I bid my dual monitor days farewell when I got an ultrawide a year or so back, so I'm not able to confirm, but I think that's an overall a very reasonable explanation and I doubt the fix Ana mentioned was intended to address that specific case. What I'll go ahead and do is file an issue to investigate with our development team. To help me give them as much info as I can out the gate, could you give me a quick rundown of where you leave 1Password and where it ends up with some specific attention to what monitor is where? Something like, "I close 1Password in the middle of my primary display which is in landscape mode on the left and it reopens half on my secondary display which is in portrait mode on the right." That's probably not entirely accurate, but hopefully gives you the gist. I'll make sure to pass along that info and leave them a link to this thread so they can follow up if they need anything more from you. :+1:

• puget_sounder
    puget_sounder
    Community Member

Thanks @bundtkate; I only open the main screen on my secondary monitor. So now I open it, drag it to the middle of the secondary monitor, do my 1PW biz, then close it. My display layout is like this:

Monitor 1 is my primary running at 3840x2160 in landscape mode (on the right).
    Monitor 2 is my secondary running at 1080x1920 in portrait mode (on the left).
    The fancy red box is the main 1PW screen (art!).
    Launching 1PW with the mouse pointer on the primary display by clicking shortcut on start menu, or task bar, or hotkey results in the main screen opening about halfway off the left edge of the monitor (as shown in the lower part of the pic). The only exception to this that I have found is if I open in via the firefox add on icon, right click an item and the click either view or edit in 1PW; when I open it this way it does a different behavior where it opens partway off the left edge of the screen but then snaps over to the correct horizontal position.
    In all cases it seems that the vertical location is correct regardless of whichever launch method I use or where the mouse pointer is.
    Thanks!

• Thanks so much, @puget_sounder! I passed this along, our engineering team tested it out and ... they're not seeing this issue. That could honestly be a good thing, though, as it likely indicates we're missing something that can fix this without changing 1Password itself at all. So, that tells me it's time for a closer look under the hood. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Windows PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com and drop a link to this thread in the body of the email. That way if someone else sees it before I do, they'll know everything we've already discussed. If you drop a note here when you've sent it over, then that'll help me make sure I take a peek before I scoot for the day. Once we get a look at those logs, we'll get back to you via email with next steps. :+1:

• puget_sounder
    puget_sounder
    Community Member

Hi @bundtkate ; message+report sent!
    Thanks

• puget_sounder
    puget_sounder
    Community Member

@bundtkate, okay so it seems to be related to using Window's screen scaling. I normally have my primary 4K monitor at 150% scaling to bigify menus/controls, etc. My primary 1920x1080 monitor is at 100% (no scaling). When I switch the 4K primary display to 100% (and then lean in so I can see what's on screen...) EVERYTHING WORKS AS EXPECTED!!!. Wait, I'll switch it back and see if it borks it: BORK BORK BORK! Yeah, so it seems that the 150% screen scaling (which is the recommended setting for this monitor on Win 10) mixed with 100% on the secondary causes the window to appear in the wrong location on the secondary monitor. I wonder what happens if I set the secondary at 150%? Okay that text is too big and now the 1PW window won't fit on the screen, but it does pop back up in the expected location when I close/reopen it! Does this provide any useful info?

• I replied to you via email, @puget_sounder, but just to close the loop and help others who may come across this – yes, I do think that's likely relevant. I've got some meetings taking up my afternoon today, but I've already asked our engineering team to look into it and will let you know when I have anything interesting to share. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.