Delete the app and re-install, previously signed in account still appears

sector
sector
Community Member
edited May 2020 in iOS

I have deleted the app and re-installed, then go to the app the welcome screen > select sync 1Password acccount.
The account that I signed in with earlier It still appears that it is detected. Just enter the Master password to sign in.
It looks like ios still keeps account credentials, such as email and secret keys,
But I may not like this,
of course it makes it easier to sign in again. But I tried to find the option to delete the account but it didn't have (it only touches the + sign).

I want to know, is there a way to delete an account? I like the emptiness after deleting the app.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• Hi @sector

This data is synced with iCloud Keychain. There are two ways to address this:

1. Deleteing the account: How to delete your 1Password account or
    2. Turning off iCloud Keychain

I hope that helps!

Ben

• sector
    sector
    Community Member

I make sure that I didn't turn on the iCloud Keychain, Why are my account details still displayed?
    I think it probably kept be stored somewhere on ios, Or is it a Local Keychain.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@sector:

If you open iOS Preferences > Tap on your name > select the iCloud option and scroll down to the Keychain entry, what do you see next to it? Does it say Off or something else?

• sector
    sector
    Community Member

It show is Off.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@sector:

Thank you for the confirmation. It sounds like these were saved back when Keychain was enabled, or perhaps on another device where you are using 1Password and you have enabled iCloud Keychain. I don't believe you can edit the Keychain directly in iOS, but you can do it from a Mac. Please see this post from my colleague Jacob to see how to remove items from there.

• sector
    sector
    Community Member

It sounds like these were saved back when Keychain was enabled, or perhaps on another device where you are using 1Password and you have enabled iCloud Keychain.

Certainly not, I have only 1 ios device and have never enabled the iCloud Keychain.
    or if I might have forgotten that it was enabled before signing in Just turn it off, then the account information must be deleted from the iCloud Keychain server. But confirm again, i never turn on the iCloud Keychain before I install the 1Password app and sign in.
    Therefore, I want to know this stored information. How did it appear?

I don't believe you can edit the Keychain directly in iOS, but you can do it from a Mac. Please see this post from my colleague Jacob to see how to remove items from there.

This is probably an advanced method, unfortunately I don't have a Mac so it's not useful.

I tried to search for a topic that has a comment about this issue, and I found this comment looks like he's one of your team @AGKyle , he explained very precisely to the point that I wanted to know a lot and has an illustration.
    This is part of the comment, which I have copied it.

What's stored

Server URL (such as https://my.1password.com)
    Secret Key
    Email address

If iCloud Keychain is enabled the item will be stored there. If iCloud Keychain is disabled a Local Items keychain takes its place and the item will be stored there instead.

This is where I was wondering, shows whether my account information is stored in the Local Items keychain or not.
    I feel it is a very in-depth question, please help explain more in depth.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2020

@sector

If iCloud Keychain is not enabled then the details would be stored in the iOS Keychain, which is local to the device. It is not possible to remove these details other than by deleting the 1Password account, and then trying to sign into it. If you try to sign into an account that has been deleted the app will recognize that and remove the details from the keychain.

How to delete your 1Password account

Note that deleting an account also permanently deletes all of the data within, so this step should be seriously considered prior to acting on it.

Ben

• sector
    sector
    Community Member
    edited June 2020

@Ben, From what you described:
    1. According to my understanding is These data are stored in the iOS Keychain. It won't be deleted by just deleting the app.
    Therefore, if wanting to delete information in iOS Keychain, Must erase data all on iPhone by following methods: Tap Settings> General> Reset > Then tap Erase All Content and Settings. Is this something that i understand correctly makes sense ?
    2. Is it possible that Your development team Will be able to add the option to delete this data in app. (on the sign-in screen) or is it an Apple specification that can't be done or else that your team has carefully thought out that don't need to do this.

• sector
    sector
    Community Member

@Ben From what you described:
    According to my understanding: These details are stored on the iOS Keychain, which cannot be deleted by simply deleting the app and re-installing. Therefore, if wanting to delete these items,
    Must erase all iPhone data by the following steps: Tap Settings > General > Reset > Then tap Erase All Content and Settings.
    Is this something that i understand correctly makes sense ?

Is it possible that your development team will be able to add the option to delete these details in the app? (In the login window) or is not able to because just a limitation of the apple Or else things that your development team has carefully considered that it is not appropriate to do it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@sector:

There is no need to use the Erase All Content and Settings option, that's unrelated. Ben was referring to deleting the 1Password account itself:

It is not possible to remove these details other than by deleting the 1Password account, and then trying to sign into it

• sector
    sector
    Community Member

@ag_ana

Looks like your comment above says that it won't be deleted in any way, until 1password account deletion only
    It looks like it's permanently buried in the iOS Keychain on this device.

I forgot to tell before that It is an account that I must use.
    Do not want to delete any accounts (I have 3 accounts)

Just want to delete the details from the account sign-in screen. keep it empty like the first time, That's it.
    Will you understand my wishes?

So I want to ask if using Erase All Content and Settings option or Restore iOS iPhone to factory settings using iTunes.
    Will it be able to delete this information from the account sign-in screen on this device?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@sector:

Just want to delete the details from the account sign-in screen. keep it empty like the first time, That's it.
    Will you understand my wishes?

We understand your wishes. However, as Ben wrote above, it's currently not possible to remove items from the Keychain if you use a local one. In the future, we can look and see if there is a way to do this the way you would like, but at the moment the feature is not available. Hence Ben's workaround suggested above.

Will it be able to delete this information from the account sign-in screen on this device?

I don't think we have tested this scenario, but it might help since it's an extreme measure that will probably erase several settings and information from your device. Maybe the local keychain is one of those. If you feel like trying this, please report back so other users can see your results as well.

Thank you for your collaboration in this!

• I've spoken with our development team on this. We will not be able to accommodate removal of these items from the keychain on the device other than by deleting the account entirely. My apologies for any inconvenience. If you erase the entire device, then yes, that would erase them, but that isn't a function of 1Password.

Ben

• sector
    sector
    Community Member
    edited June 2020

@Ben: , @ag_ana:

If you erase the entire device, then yes, that would erase them,

Thank you for confirming the way I thought.

I'd like to share something that I think works (but don't know if it's technically correct)
    today I tried to find another method that worked (without erase the entire device):
    by going to the Add Account window in app that shows that the previous account was detected > Enter the correct master password.
    Once successfully logged in, remain in the app(Do not exit the app).
    go to 1password.com (sign in to the account you want to delete in the app) > deauthorize the device that is currently signed in to the app
    After that, the screen in the 1password app there will be a small window appears showing 3 notifications, tab dismiss> quit respectively. Enter the app again. It turns out that the account sign-in screen the detected account has been lost.
    :)

• Thanks for the update @sector. It isn't intentional for it to work that way, so I can't promise that it will in the future, but I'm glad to hear you've found something that works for now.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.