master passwords - multiple

Options
blacknell
blacknell
Community Member

I am looking at moving to 1P families. Currently I have 1P6 on Dropbox.

When I created the 1P Families account I created a new master password. Mainly because I'm testing it, also because I was nervous about entering it on a website (I know now it is an app in my browser).

Now, when I open 1P7 app on my Mac, it sees the new family vaults and my old vault. However, never did it ask for the new MP for the new Family account.

I'm confused.

If I go ahead with the move (very likely) I'll need to change the master password for my new setup to my super secure one. It's not not clear how I do that because I'm also confused about how the master password unlocks keys for vaults - multiple vaults

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• SvenS1P
    Options

Hi @blacknell, 1Password for Mac will only ever require you to enter a single Master Password, regardless of how many standalone vaults and accounts you've added. All of this is done locally on your device, so if you set a different Master Password on your new 1Password account to your standalone vault then this is still the case — your account still uses the new Master Password you chose and encrypts its items using it.

So how does 1Password work out which Master Password to use to unlock 1Password? It's based on these two rules:

• If a Primary standalone vault has been added, then the Master Password of that vault is used to unlock 1Password
    • If no standalone vaults have been added, then the Master Password of the first account added to the app is used for unlocking

If you decide that you'd like to continue with your 1Password membership, then you can migrate your items to your account. Once you've done that, you can remove your standalone vaults from the 1Password for Mac app and, following the rules I gave above, you'll then be able to unlock 1Password using your account's new Master Password.

This discussion has been closed.