Wifi password - How to save it correct in 1Password

Options
Philipp
Philipp
Community Member

Hello,
In 1Password I saved Wifi password in the Wifi section manually. The problem: My mobile device could not use the login data. I have to copy/paste them into the field.

Sometimes, when I visited friends they gave me there password into the mobile device in the settings (not in 1Password), then 1Password offered me to save them automatically. When I see it correct, 1Password saved those passwords in the login section (instead of wifi section).

For me this is a little bit confusing: It seems topsy-turvy.
So my question: Which way does Agilebits recommend to save a wifi password right in 1Password? ...and when I put it in the database manually, how does 1Password recognize the right connection, or is it working when 1Password is saving it automatically only?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Philipp

Which way does Agilebits recommend to save a wifi password right in 1Password?

We don't have an official recommendation on that, but if you want to be able to fill it then it needs to be a Login item. :)

...and when I put it in the database manually, how does 1Password recognize the right connection,

1Password store all sorts of information, but what it can fill are website logins, iOS app logins, credit cards, and identities. It doesn't know what WiFi network you're connecting to.

Ben

• anttilk
    anttilk
    Community Member
    Options

Please change the behaviour of 1Password (at least on iOS) so that in addition to Login items, I can search for and fill in network passwords from "Wireless Routers" category in 1Password. It is somewhat irritating that there is a place that is designed for Wi-Fi networks and their passwords, yet I cannot directly use that information on my iOS devices when connecting to networks. Storing the passwords as Login items, in addition to Wireless Routers items, requires duplicating the same information.

It's time to make this improvement - it's been almost 2 years since iOS 12 started supporting password managers, and offering access to passwords stored in 1Password when logging in to a Wi-Fi network.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@anttilk:

I remember there used to be a limitation about what information iOS allows third party apps to fill through the AutoFill extension, so perhaps the limitation is still there. I am not a developer though, so we will certainly continue discussing how we can improve 1Password even more. Thank you for the feedback!

This discussion has been closed.