1Password Not Launching Windows 10

remicarreiro
remicarreiro
Community Member
edited May 2020 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I can no longer get 1Password to launch. When i booted up my computer yesterday morning I was greeted with the 1Password set up window, which seemed odd and didn't have a chance to set things back up with accessing my vault before getting going with my day. I figured i'd fix it today, but now I can't even get the app to launch. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but no difference. And I shutdown the computer each night, which I thought might have solved it but no improvement either.

1Password Version: 7.4.767
Extension Version: 4.7.6.2
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 1909
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @remicarreiro,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us.

That's very odd. If you're getting the setup window, that means your 1Password directory with your data and backups may have been affected.

Before yesterday morning, was there anything else that happened like a Windows update or any major software updates you may have done?

Could you email us your 1Password diagnostics report, so we can see what's going on. Please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• remicarreiro
    remicarreiro
    Community Member

Hi Mike,

I have installed the 2020-01 Update for Windows 10 1909 for x64-based systems (KB4497165) two days ago on the 24th, so that may have something to do with it.

Unfortunately, I can't send over any diagnostics as I can't get the app to even open anymore after yesterday's instance of it opening with the setup window. I also don't seem to see anything running the task manager associated with 1Password, unless it's under a name i'm not recognizing. And my vault seems to be fine, as my other devices are accessing it and writing to it just fine.

• @remicarreiro

So, you can't see the setup window anymore either? The setup window would still show the Help menu option to help you generate the report.

What anti-malware solution are you using on your PC?

Try this:

1. Open Windows File Explorer and in the address bar, enter %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password
    2. Move the app folder to your desktop
    3. Run the 1Password installer from here: https://1Password.com/downloads/

See if that'll help.

• remicarreiro
    remicarreiro
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

Hi Mike,

Right. That window isn't appearing anymore on launch. I'm only running Windows Defender at the moment. When I follow your troubleshooting steps I encounter the same issue as I got earlier. I click the installer and give it admin permissions and then this window appears and I click 'yes' but nothing happens afterwards.

The app appears to be installed but nothing appears on screen. I noticed that the 1Password tray app appears in the Task Manager for a second before disappearing but that's all that I can see, the icon doesn't appear in my notification tray as well.

• Hi @remicarreiro,

Don't give it administrator rights, it is not required and can make it worse. Can you see if there are any crash reports in the Event Viewer with this guide. If yes, please send the crash report to us at support+windows@1Password.com with a link to this thread and your forum username, so we can connect them together.

Let us know here if you did send it to us. Thanks!

• remicarreiro
    remicarreiro
    Community Member

Hi Mike,

I don't know if i can do that. I scrolled back to the events that happened around the time that my issues started on the 26th but see no events related to 1Password at all. I can send you all the events since that time if it's still helpful but I can't fully recreate the steps being asked of me in at the link you sent me.

It really must be related to this latest windows update somehow.

• If you repeat Mike's steps to move that app folder and install again without giving 1Password administrator rights, does that improve things any, @remicarreiro? As for the crash report, what you describe when reinstalling – seeing the process in Task Manager for a second before it poofs – sounds like a crash itself, so if you're able to repeat that experience then check the most recent events in Event Viewer again, that could be illuminating. It's worth noting that the relation of those events to 1Password may not be completely obvious. Crashes often are displayed as .NET events. Typically they'll make some mention of 1Password somewhere, but that's not universal and often not something that's going to jump out at you. If something aligns properly with the time you saw trouble, I'd say it's worth sending over. Might be nothing, but it could be that it's relevant and just not obvious how it's relevant. :+1:

• remicarreiro
    remicarreiro
    Community Member

Hi,

I should correct myself, i didn't give the app admin rights when installing. I misinterpreted the windows security notice that comes up when clicking the installer. I cannot seem to recreate that experience at all. I have submitted some entries of my Event Viewer log just now to the email that Mike provided.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @remicarreiro,

We have found your logs and will take a closer look. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• xdegtyarev
    xdegtyarev
    Community Member

I have same issue for a month already, using 1 password X since that time, but would be happy to have desktop app working

• Have you tried any of the suggestions in this thread yet, @xdegtyarev? If you have, that's fine – just let me know. I just don't want to move on under the assumption we've covered those bases if you haven't given that stuff a go yet. :+1:

• xdegtyarev
    xdegtyarev
    Community Member

Application: 1Password.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 73AC0FEA

Faulting application name: 1Password.exe, version: 7.4.767.0, time stamp: 0x5e9dd63f
    Faulting module name: avsspc.dll, version: 6.1.3.1684, time stamp: 0x5ce52d1c
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00010fea
    Faulting process id: 0x3cd4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d63e5369106688
    Faulting application path: C:\Users\xdegtyarev\AppData\Local\1Password\app\7\1Password.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Avest\Avest CSP\avsspc.dll
    Report Id: a9f4ef7a-c9b7-475e-b3ad-81444cc68976
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @xdegtyarev,

It looks like your issue is different.

It seems that you are using Avest app on your PC. This software replaces the standard Windows crypto lib, and is trying to load its DLL into the 1Password process when 1Password starts. 1Password recognizes this is not the expected Windows DLL, and refuses to run, to protect your encrypted data.

Are you able to disable or uninstall Avest? Please let us know. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• xdegtyarev
    xdegtyarev
    Community Member

Oh, that'll be hard, cause it's part of my Taxes declarations software, I'll try to remove and reinstall it with less privileges, hope it'll help

• I hope it helps, @xdegtyarev! So you're aware, though, this isn't really something we can work around if it doesn't. Preventing other applications from injecting themselves into 1Password is an important security measure that we just aren't able to compromise on. If this can't be avoided with Avest and you need to have Avest installed permanently, 1Password X is likely to be your best bet.

This discussion has been closed.