About Documents store and attachments

Options

I'm using 1PW windows and Android to store my information. Here are some confusions about storing documents.
I used to use a 1PW.com account to store files on 1password servers. I know that there is 1GB online space for every subscriber to store files. But I have a bad internet connection to 1password's server. That is because I live in Asia. It seems there is no local server of 1PW, I have to access servers in US to store my files.
I could bear syncing database to 1password.com, because it happens whenever my PC is online and I don't need immediate feedback. But as for documents, it is a little bit slow to transfer 20MB documents via the internet.
Fortunately, I only have 2 devices. So I try to solve this problem by using a standalone vault. But when I upload a document, it hints me that an attachment should not be larger than 5MB.
I'm very upset. Since a standalone vault use space on my own device rather than a server(which means I don't use 1password's store resource), why can't I upload a bigger document?

1Password Version: 7.4.767
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Blake
    Options

Hey there @wuuyuu 👋

I would expect that the reason for the 5MB size restriction has a lot to do with how we handled data structures in the past with locally-stored vaults versus how we handle data now with it being synced to a 1Password.com Account

In a similar vein though, 1Password isn’t really meant as a replacement for a proper local file management service. The larger attachments and storage of documents was something we designed and introduced for use with a 1Password.com Account, so that likely has a part to play here.

Regardless, I am definitely going to bring this up with our team internally to see if this is something that could possibly be done in the future. No promises though! 😊

• wuuyuu
    wuuyuu
    Community Member
    Options

@Blake , thx a lot. I'm not going to use it as a file system, just for something important (Credit card, a copy of passport(with 30+ pages, the pdf is 10MB), etc.), like what 1pw suggested.
    I have compressed my files to fit 5MB( actually I found it is 5.2 MB today), so no troubles recently. But still hope you team can enlarge the documents limit in the future~

• wuuyuu
    wuuyuu
    Community Member
    Options

@Blake Also, I found I can attach more than one file to an item. So the last solvent is to separate my document if necessary. (Maybe that is an idea how you guys can enlarge it? Just guessing)

• Ben
    Options

But still hope you team can enlarge the documents limit in the future~

That is certainly something we can continue to evaluate as technology evolves. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.