1Password Mini "Generate Password" Not Automatically Deleting Password from "Passwords" Category

I cannot figure out how you guys intend the optimal workflow to be now, after the latest major update. When I'm creating a new login for a site, I'm just not sure anymore what the best/most efficient way to do it is.

When I create a login, I fill in the username, pull up the 1Password Mini to generate a random password, and press "create login" on the website. 1Password then asks with a pop-up if I want to save it as a new login or update an existing login. When I click save as a new login, it creates a login for me with that information in the "logins" category- great!- but it doesn't automatically delete the standalone password saved in the "Passwords" category. This is what your instructional video shows to do, yet it doesn't address this problem of not automatically deleting it as a standalone password, thus having a duplicate- one as a login, and one as a standalone password.
From my understanding, the new version of "generate password" adds that password to a dedicated "passwords" category. The user can then manually go into "passwords" category in the full app (not the Mini) and manually convert it to a login, where they'll have to enter the username manually. OR they can use the popup to do it for them. The problem is, when one uses the popup to do it automatically, it doesn't go back and remove that same exact password from the "passwords" category, even though they're both the same passwords with the same URL listed in the website field.

With the old version of "generate password", it didn't save it to this "Passwords" category (because there wasn't one to my knowledge), so I didn't have to deal with all this duplicate mess. All I had to do was enter a username, generate a password, and then let it automatically create a login from those credentials. Because of the new "Passwords" category, and lack of it automatically deleting it as a standalone password, I have duplicates- one as a login, and one as a standalone password. Therefore, I have to manually go in and delete it from the "passwords" category. It really takes away from my workflow.

I know there has been a ton of discussion on the new "generate password" version, but I couldn't find anyone talking specifically about this issue I'm experiencing, so I apologize if this has already been asked!

TL;DR
The "generate password" feature in 1Password Mini isn't automatically deleting my password as a standalone password in the "passwords" category, even though I've chosen to save it as a login.

1Password Version: 7.4.4
Extension Version: 7.4.4?
OS Version: 10.15.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @ChasePage. You're absolutely right; Password items should be cleaned up after you've saved a Login item. This is a bug currently in 1Password for Mac that our developers are aware of. I'm sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime, but at least you can know it's not just you and we're aware of the issue. :smile: Hopefully we can get this resolved soon.

• ChasePage
    ChasePage
    Community Member

Thank you @ag_michaelc, I'll be looking out for this in the patch notes!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of ag_michaelc, you are welcome @ChasePage! Thank you for your understanding :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• Syd
    Syd
    Community Member

This same bug applies to Windows version (probably all versions). I also wonder if 'password' items should be considered duplicate passwords agains login entries, as we create those temporarily, and then add the login, either automatically, or manually later (based on how many fields there are you need to ignore on the 'create login' screen on the website, that you don't ignore and alas can only delete on certain platforms of 1Password)

• PackDude
    PackDude
    Community Member

I just stumbled across this thread while researching the "Remove redundant generated passwords" option that I also stumbled across. I noticed that while updating my bank login, it warned of a duplicate item using the same password. When I checked, the duplicate was the generated password. To me, it doesn't make sense to flag this as a duplicate password. Until it's converted into a login or saved to another existing login, it's not a duplicate, it's just the same password. Is it safe to assume that the "Remove redundant generated passwords" option only removes passwords that have been converted to logins? And when it removes them, does it move them to Trash or delete them outright?

• @PackDude,

it should move them to the trash. I've also found an inconsistency in the processing of those generated passwords in 1Password for Mac as it relates to deleting those generated password items when saving or updating an existing login, which should be making its way into the beta channel in the next update.

This discussion has been closed.