To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Am I leaving too many 1P files on my Mac when moving from standalone to membership?

J_schwinn
J_schwinn
Community Member

Cleaning up my standalone vault is almost done and almost ready to move to the 1P membership.

As I look around at my Macs I see quite a bit of 1P related files and I'm wondering whether I'll be leaving some old baggage on my Macs and iOS devices, and if anyone of these files are not safe to remain.

I have found the following pages which are helpful, and considered whether it's best to delete everything including the apps, but it seems that it may be easier and safer to remove specific folders such as the old backups. Would that work and what should I delete? If I keep the iOS apps and delete the primary vault does the app retain any files related to the standalone vault, backups etc. And would it better to delete and reinstall the iOS apps?

https://support.1password.com/uninstall-1password/

https://support.1password.com/starting-over/

I realize that I can sync locally to create an encrypted vault with the standalone version. Is there a reason that the membership version doesn't allow for exporting encrypted backups? Or, is the vault that works offline accessible to save as a backup? Or, is there a 3rd party encryption that would be good for the purpose of a local or an off device backup?

thanks again,

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:clean installation

Comments

• J_schwinn
    J_schwinn
    Community Member

To help clarify my lengthy (and confusing) request above :) which method below is best to follow when migrating a vault from standalone to membership in regards to not leaving any important and unnecessary data on devices ….

iOS:

A - migrate the Primary vault to the Private vault and then delete the Primary.

Or,

B- within the iOS apps “Clear Web Data”, Erase all 1Password Data” and “Erase iCloud Data” (I currently don't sync to iCloud). Delete the apps, the reinstall new iOS apps from the iOS App Store and login under the new membership account?

Mac Apps:

A. Similar to iOS - migrate the Primary vault to the Private vault and then delete the Primary.

Or,

B. Follow the instructions at - https://support.1password.com/uninstall-1password/ and then install a new 1Password app from the Mac App Store and login with the membership info.

C. or, keep the original Mac apps after migration, delete the Primary vault and also delete specific folders that are not needed for the membership account?

In both situations is “B” an overkill or is this the best way to remove some of the extra “stuff”?

Thanks again,

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2020

Hi @J_schwinn!

iOS:

A - migrate the Primary vault to the Private vault and then delete the Primary.

Mac Apps:

A. Similar to iOS - migrate the Primary vault to the Private vault and then delete the Primary.

These are the best and simplest options to move your data to 1Password.com, and to remove the old vault. You don't need to do anything else ;)

If you want to start from a clean slate, I suppose you can uninstall your app and reinstall it, but it would not be necessary.

• J_schwinn
    J_schwinn
    Community Member

Hi Ana

Thank you, I'll have to think about this, my main concern is that I'd be leaving backups of the local vaults on the Mac. I may test a fresh install on a one of my computers and see how it goes.

thanks again

• Thanks @J_schwinn. Would you mind elaborating on why that is a concern? I'd be curious. In any event, the migration process doesn't delete your backups. If you want to delete them you can delete this folder:

~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups

Ben

• J_schwinn
    J_schwinn
    Community Member

Hi Ben

• Would you mind elaborating on why that is a concern? I'd be curious.

The concern is for both backups as well as other components that may be left behind by the standalone version. Part of the reason for moving forward with the membership is to stay current with 1Password software. I don't know how long the standalone versions will be maintained, but even if they are kept up by 1Password, I may not be using them in the future. Obiviously I don't have any knowledge of 1Password plans but I'd guess that potentially the local standalone files/components that are left behind will not be updated/patched for security as the membership software gets updated. How safe are the files/components that I'd be leaving on my devices? The 2 that seem most relevant are is the "Backups" and "AccountExports", and since the other folders are somewhat opaque I don't know if they are important or not to the security of the setup.

thanks again,

• J_schwinn
    J_schwinn
    Community Member

A sidebar question - do you know if 1Password is the reason that I am seeing a request to accept access to "rapportd" on my Mac? I'm not sure what app is calling for this.

• Thanks for elaborating. The backups are encrypted the same as your vaults, but you're right, over time we may need to strengthen that encryption and old backups would not benefit from those changes.

The 2 that seem most relevant are is the "Backups" and "AccountExports", and since the other folders are somewhat opaque I don't know if they are important or not to the security of the setup.

AccountExports are related to your membership, so those would not be leftovers from using standalone. Backups though, yes.

A sidebar question - do you know if 1Password is the reason that I am seeing a request to accept access to "rapportd" on my Mac? I'm not sure what app is calling for this.

That wouldn't be 1Password. It appears to be Trusteer Rapport which may be related to your financial institution / bank.

Ben

• J_schwinn
    J_schwinn
    Community Member

Thanks Ben

If I delete the Primary Vault from the iOS apps are there any backups that remain on the device which a clean install would delete?

• 1Password for iOS does not automatically create backups like 1Password for Mac does. There would only be backups stored in it if you've made any manually.

Ben

• J_schwinn
    J_schwinn
    Community Member

Are there any files that should be deleted (for security) in the Library>ApplicationSupport>1Password>Data folder if I have deleted the local standalone vault? Or are these harmless?

thank you,

• Malbec
    Malbec
    Community Member

One thing to note is that the migration process do not move over "Trash" content. While on iOS I was indeed left out with Primary (old) and Personal (new 1P account) vaults and could delete the Primary manually, on Mac (which was the 1st device on which I did the migration), the Primary (old) vault was deleted automatically without asking any questions.

• @Malbec

Primary should be automatically removed if the migration is successful. :+1: You are correct that Trash is not kept.

Ben

• @J_schwinn

Library>ApplicationSupport>1Password

This folder isn't used by modern versions of 1Password.

Ben

• J_schwinn
    J_schwinn
    Community Member
    edited June 2020

Hi Ben

Sorry I posted the wrong path, the folder in question is:

/Users/"username"/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password

The folder contains a bunch of Blob2 files which are older, I'm assuming these are attachments previously used by the standalone app. The sqlite files appear to be related to the current account. The Blobs seem to be expendable and keep the sqlite files?

• @J_schwinn

As a 1Password.com user here is what I see:

$ pwd
    /Users/bdw/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data
    $ ls -la
    total 55944
    drwxr-xr-x@ 9 bdw  staff   288B Jan 30 13:38 ./
    drwxr-xr-x@ 8 bdw  staff   256B Feb 21 14:13 ../
    -rw-------@ 1 bdw  staff     0B Jan 30 13:38 .dbLock
    -rw-r--r--@ 1 bdw  staff    24M May 21 14:52 B5.sqlite
    -rw-r--r--@ 1 bdw  staff    32K May 31 16:02 B5.sqlite-shm
    -rw-r--r--@ 1 bdw  staff   2.9M Jun  3 15:59 B5.sqlite-wal
    -rw-r--r--@ 1 bdw  staff   172K Jan 30 15:08 OnePassword.sqlite
    -rw-r--r--@ 1 bdw  staff    32K May 31 16:02 OnePassword.sqlite-shm
    -rw-r--r--@ 1 bdw  staff     0B Jan 30 15:08 OnePassword.sqlite-wal

In short: I don't have any 'blob2' files in 1Password's Data directory. Does that help?

Ben

• J_schwinn
    J_schwinn
    Community Member

Yes, thanks. I'll cautiously toss the old blobs.

• :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.