Options for quickly logging into my Laptop

This is a mix of questions. I hope this spot is appropriate.
1. 1Password in Safari on my iPhone 11 uses facial recognition to quickly login to 1password without keying in the Master Password. Is Facial Recognition really secure on iPhone11 (latest IOS)?
2. What are my "quick login" options for my Windows 10 computer? Using a Surface Pro 3 purchased Jan 2015, running latest W10 and all up-to-date drivers. Settings-Accounts-Signin Options indicates Windows Hello Face and Fingerprint unavailable to me, although PIN is available.
3. Is Windows Hello PIN really secure? Can I use this pin for logging into 1Password X and 1Password too?
4. I use a pin number to log onto my computer, although I do not know if this is the same pin as Windows Hello uses.

1Password Version: 7.4.767
Extension Version: 1.19.1
OS Version: W10, V2004, Build 19041.264
Sync Type: I guess iCloud but not certain what you mean

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @break80:

1. 1Password in Safari on my iPhone 11 uses facial recognition to quickly login to 1password without keying in the Master Password. Is Facial Recognition really secure on iPhone11 (latest IOS)?

Yes, and you can read more about the security of Face ID in this article:

About Face ID security in 1Password for iOS

1. What are my "quick login" options for my Windows 10 computer? Using a Surface Pro 3 purchased Jan 2015, running latest W10 and all up-to-date drivers. Settings-Accounts-Signin Options indicates Windows Hello Face and Fingerprint unavailable to me, although PIN is available.

Windows Hello is maybe the quickest option in 1Password for Windows:

Use Windows Hello to unlock 1Password on your Windows PC

1. Is Windows Hello PIN really secure? Can I use this pin for logging into 1Password X and 1Password too?

We recommend using a strong, alphanumeric PIN when you configure Windows Hello. We have an article with details about Windows Hello security too:

About Windows Hello security in 1Password for Windows

• break80
    break80
    Community Member

Thanks for the info. Windows Hello seems to be very secure. I use the fingerprint reader with Windows Hello to start and restart my computer. It works perfectly.

But for 1password, something is wrong I think. After than if I lock and restart 1password, the fingerprint popup DOES request my fingerprint as expected. However, in https://support.1password.com/windows-hello/, the article above, I understand 1password is supposed to be unlockable using the fingerprint reader after starts or restarts. When I start and restart, 1password does NOT popup the fingerprint reader. So I have to manually log into 1password, which defeats the primary purpose of having the reader connected in the first place. Is 1password working properly on my computer?

• Windows Hello is actually explicitly not able to unlock 1Password following a reboot or an app restart, @break80. That unique key that allows Hello to unlock 1Password is stored in memory so it can't persist through a reboot. We're considering our options to persistently store such a secret in a manner that allows you to use Hello at all times and lives up to our security standards when it comes to protecting your data. We haven't found anything that quite fits the bill just yet, so you will need to use your Master Password once after a restart for now, but we hope we'll be able to improve that experience in the future. :chuffed:

• break80
    break80
    Community Member

Thanks. I misunderstood the documentation.

By the way, I always smile when I see your clever handle because I love what it reminds me of: Bundt Cake

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @break80,

On behalf of Kate you are very welcome! :)

Please do not hesitate to contact us anytime, we are always here for you.

Cheers,
    Greg

• break80
    break80
    Community Member

following up, opening 1P using facial recognition on my iPhone 11 is very slick. No more manual entry of Master password. For the Laptop, I bought a Finger-Pront reader. Works great for initial login to my computer, but login to 1P doesn't seem to exist yet. Is this coming soon? I still have to enter my Master password to kick it off.

• That shouldn't be the case, @break80, at least not as a general rule. With that said, I have seen some third-party fingerprint readers work fine with unlocking your PC, but not so much with 1Password, for various reasons. First things first, though, have you set up Windows Hello unlocking in 1Password yet? I know Ana shared our guide with you earlier so you may well have done that already, but here it is again, just in case:

https://support.1password.com/windows-hello/

Assuming everything is set up properly, my first step here is probably exactly what you'd expect – disable Hello in Windows settings and remove your fingerprint, then re-enable it and set it up again. Try 1Password after and see if that helps. If no dice, let me know the make and model of the reader you're using. Just a link to Amazon or wherever is fine if you've got it. I just want to take a quick peek at its features and see if anything jumps out that might affect compatibility. I've seen a few where I was stumped, but by and large the listing makes it pretty clear why it's not working. :+1:

P.S. - I just now saw your comment about my handle so wanted to say thank you. Alas, someone not me stole it on Twitter, but it looks like she's a professional baker named Kate so how on earth can I take that from her? I'm just a hobbyist Kate making bundt cakes, so I can defer in this case. :lol:

• break80
    break80
    Community Member

This fixed itself. I don;t know how or when but it never came back. Maybe a glitch in my operating system or something. If it happens again I will bring it up.

• That's fantastic news @break80 😍✨

While I'm glad to hear things are working properly for you, definitely let us know if things crop up again and we will be here to lend a hand.

This discussion has been closed.