Carbon Copy Cloner excludes 1Password

TomWolsky
TomWolsky
Community Member
edited May 2020 in Mac

Carbon Copy Cloner excludes 1Password on clones.

https://bombich.com/kb/ccc5/some-files-and-folders-are-automatically-excluded-from-backup-task#special

For those of us you test software on multiple systems and multiple OSs on drives that can be connected simultaneously, this is super annoying. We're not chidden here. I've lived with this years and am willing to continue, but excluding from CCC is just wrong. Will it be excluded from Time Machine next?

Not happy.

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @TomWolsky!

Thank you for your feedback on this! Our recommendation is to backup the 1Password data, but not the 1Password app, as per our support page that is linked on the CCC webpage you mentioned in your original post:

If you see “extra copies of 1Password found”

Because of this, things currently work the way we recommend when it comes to 1Password, so I am not aware of any plans to change this behavior. However, we can certainly keep your suggestion in mind while we continue to evaluate how 1Password can work best :+1: Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on this :)

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member

The newest version of CCC, 5.1.18 deliberately excludes 1Password from backups:
    https://bombich.com/kb/ccc5/some-files-and-folders-are-automatically-excluded-from-backup-task#special

This is in response to a recommendation from Agile:
    https://support.1password.com/extra-copies-found/

This seems the wrong way of dealing with this issue, which has existed for years when clones are attached, and has never caused me a problem.

Surely it would be easy enough for Agile to simply put a warning (or even a block) in the updater if it detected additional copies, requiring or advising that the other volumes should be unmounted.

While it is not difficult to re install 1Password, it feels like this is a 1Password issue for Agile to solve, and the solution should not just be excluding 1Password from the clone automatically. It feels like the thin end of a wedge to exclude an app because the developer requests it. There may be other software that the developers might not be happy having cloned. It is no longer possible to regard a CCC clone as a clone once this starts happening.

The issue Agile are worried about has never caused me a problem.

1Password Version: 7.5
    OS Version: 10.15.5

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

As I said in this parallel thread https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/113812/newest-version-of-carbon-copy-cloner-excludes-1p-at-agile-request#latest why not write the installer to prevent the update proceeding until backup drives with other copies of 1P are unmounted?

Excluding it from backups is a poor way of dealing with this issue which has existed for years and not caused me any problem.

Also not happy with Agile/1P or CCC over this.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2020

Thank you for the feedback and the suggestion @mikebore! As I wrote in my previous post, we will keep your message in mind in case we decide to reconsider :+1:

We appreciate your passion about 1Password and the time you took to write this!

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    edited June 2020

we will keep your message in mind in case we decide to reconsider

This doesn't sound very encouraging. Do you have a trackable system that monitors suggestions and sends updates?

This is a very recent change that is probably not yet recognised by the majority of CCC and 1 P users. I think you will find more people are unhappy about this when it is known.

It is not a beta issue so is in the wrong forum. It applies to the released versions of macOS, CCC and 1P.

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member

I started a thread here about the latest release of Carbon Copy Cloner now automatically excluding 1Password from CCC backups, but it has been wrongly moved Mac Beta forum. https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/113808/carbon-copy-cloner-excludes-1password#latest

This is incorrect because it applies to the latest released versions of macOS, 1Password and Carbon Copy Cloner so is a not a beta issue.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mikebore:

This doesn't sound very encouraging. Do you have a trackable system that monitors suggestions and sends updates?

We have an internal issue tracker, but it doesn't send out automatic notifications. The best way to keep up to date with all the changes and improvements in 1Password is through the release notes, which you can also access through our changelog website.

It is not a beta issue so is in the wrong forum. It applies to the released versions of macOS, CCC and 1P.

I have moved the original discussion to the Mac forum as per your suggestion. I have also merged all your comments and the discussions you opened into a single one, so we have all the information in one place ;)

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member

Thanks very much !

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome :+1: :)

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member

For anyone else bothered by this, The CCC developer (Mike Bombich) has told me it is very easy to re-include 1Password in CCC clones:

Hold down the Option key and choose "Show experimental options" from CCC's Help menu. Click on the Global Filters tab, then scroll to the bottom, select the 1Password item and press the Delete key or little minus sign.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mikebore:

Thank you for investigating and for sharing this with the community :+1: :)

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member

The latest release of CCC, 5.1.19 beta 1 reverses this decision. Hurrah!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update :+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.