Password auto-filled twice in Firefox

Options

There are some forms I access often that have no username field. Just a password field and a submit button. Naturally, my 1Password login entries for these forms contains no username and just a password.

Since a few months ago, whenever I try to auto-fill one of these forms using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+\ with the Firefox extension on Windows 10, 1Password fills the same password twice in the same input field, with a space in between.

For example, if the password is "foobar", the input field gets filled with "foobar foobar". Obviously the login fails.

When I manually copy the password using the extension UI, the correct value gets copied to the clipboard.

1Password Version: 7.4.767
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kijin! Welcome to the forum!

Can you please let us know the URL of a website where this is happening, so we can test it? Thank you!

• kijin
    kijin
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana All the forms I can find right now are internal, so I can't give you a publicly accessible URL.

But I found something else while looking into the problem myself. The entries that cause the problem not only have no username, but 1Password had somehow saved the same password twice in two adjacent fields. When I try to edit the entry in the 1Password app, It shows an empty "username" field, and two "password" fields with the same content. See screenshot below:

I don't know how the second password field got there, but when I manually set it to an empty value, everything is okay. I can't get 1Password to remove that field entirely, though, unlike other fields such as "website" that can be easily added and removed.

So the problem seems to be:

1. Sometimes, 1Password ends up associating more than one password with one login entry.
    2. When you try to auto-fill a login entry that has more than one password associated with it, the passwords get concatenated with a space in between.
    3. It's possible to empty the content of the second password field to make the problem go away, But it is not possible to remove the duplicate field entirely.
  • ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @kijin ,
    Thanks for the screenshot.

Something is definitely wrong there - it is not possible in any way to create another "built-in" password field like your screenshot shows, that should not happen. I'm wondering if that login item was imported from somewhere, because that is the only way I can think of that might cause such a strange occurrence.

In any case, it is completely logical that emptying the 2nd password field works fine. Recreating the login item or saving a new one directly from the login page on the website manually will also work fine. Now we just need to figure out what might have caused a login item to have two password fields in the first place :)

• kijin
    kijin
    Community Member
    edited June 2020
    Options

I have no idea how those entries ended up with two password fields, either. It's possible that I imported them from elsewhere, but the last time I imported anything was 2017 (when I migrated from LastPass to 1Password) and I hadn't noticed any problems until earlier this year. Maybe those entries have always been in a weird state but something changed regarding how 1Password auto-fills multiple passwords.

Anyway, since I've found how to solve this annoying issue on my side, I'll leave it to you guys to add some sanity checks so that no matter where the login entries come from, they don't end up with impossible data structures. :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update @kijin and for the additional information :+1:

This discussion has been closed.