Editing web form details

This discussion was created from comments split from: Editing Web form details fields [Planned].

Comments

• mbierman
    mbierman
    Community Member

Is there some documentation about Web Form Details? I have a site (T-Mobile. I am hoping I can fix this by tweaking what is currently saved.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mbierman!

We don't have a general documentation page about web form details. Is there anything specific you would like to know?

• mbierman
    mbierman
    Community Member

Hi Ag_ana! Yes, I was having a problem with 1Password on a particular page. Clearly it didn't implement 1Password recommendations. But there's nothing I can do about that. So I thought if I could tweak the Web Form Details to look for the right fields it might solve the problem. So are you looking at IDs? At label names? How does it work? Undocumented features are cool but documented ones are even better. :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mbierman:

Can you please give the following article a try first?

How to save a Login manually in your browser

Often, when a website does not behave properly, saving an item this way helps. If it doesn't, please let me know :)

• mbierman
    mbierman
    Community Member

Saving the login wasn't the problem. But this situation aside, this looks like it could be an interesting feature if only I new how to use it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mbierman:

Saving a login with those instructions does not help with saving: it helps with filling the right information in the right place on a form that does not work with 1Password out of the box. Please give those a try, and if you get stuck at any step in the process, please let me know and I will help you get through them :+1:

• mbierman
    mbierman
    Community Member

Again, I wasn't talking about a problem with saving. My question is exactly what you describe.

I really appreciate your offer, but it would be much more helpful if you could just explain a little bit about how this feature works. I'm getting a sense of hesitancy but I'm not sure where that comes from.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2020

Hey @mbierman ,
    We just don't want users to have to mess with saved form details because 1Password should just work, which is what Ana aimed for with her suggestion.

If you try to save a login manually on a page that doesn't autofill properly, 1Password might record the correct information in the saved form details without you needing to manually mess with it.

To answer your question directly, the saved form details will match a field's name and type, then autofill it if that field exists on the page in the URL of the login item. So if you have a field on a webpage that contains the following:
    <type="email" name="usrNav">
    You'd want to create a new field in the web form details called "usrNav" and set it as an email field (or a text field if email doesn't work).

I hope that answers your question.

This discussion has been closed.