1P neither not filling or not completing Log-In

Andrew42
Andrew42
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I find my 1P is increasingly freezing during the log-in process. I nealry always use 1P mini which for me is Ctrl-Alt-à as I have a Swiss French keyboard. One of two things happens and it happens whether I hold the Shift key down or not. Either 1P brings up the log-in screen and does not populate it or it populates it and does not submit. In each case the resolution is to open 1P mini and click on the log-in item again. Any thoughts why this should be happening on a regular basis and with any of my records? I use Brave.

1Password Version: 7.4.767 Beta
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: W10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Andrew42!

Do you see the same behavior even if you fill the item logins directly with the Ctrl+\ keyboard shortcut, instead of opening mini to do it?

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

If you are asking if Ctrl-\ completes the log in when it freezes, I don't know because I've never tried. On my keyboard that is not a friendly combination. That said, I'll give it a go and let you know.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good, thank you :+1:

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Just had to try it to read your response as the log-in froze without populating.Ctr-\ which for me as Ctrl-Alt Gr-\ does nothing at all. \ on my keyboard sits with < and > on the left alongside Shift.

• Hi @Andrew42,

Just to be clear, when you say freeze, what exactly is freezing? Is 1Password mini showing up and then freeze doing nothing or you press the shortcut and nothing fills until you try again?

Also, do you use Windows Hello?

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Mike, Freeze is possibly the wrong word. Stop is more appropriate. For example, to read your post, I opened IP mini using CTRL-Alt-à and highlighted the forum from among my favorites. Holding down the Shift key I clicked on the forum. The log in page immediately showed, but did not populate. The process stopped and waited for me to do something. I clicked on the 1P mini icon selected the forum, which was the only url showing, clicked on the forum and the log in page populated and submitted.

In my cases, the process stops either with the log in page not populating or the log in page populates but does not submit.

I hope this helps.

• @Andrew42,

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand. Shift is a hotkey to suppress Open and Fill, it is not supposed to do anything other than open the site. If you include Alt key, it will not fill either because by default, Control + Alt + \ or AltGR + \ will only show 1Password mini without filling.

You can change the shortcut in 1Password general settings:

The one you want is Fill Login or show 1Password, try one that fits your keyboard. That will fill the item right away.

We have a known glitch where 1Password may not fill after unlocking, it's going to be improved in the upcoming beta.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

@Mike, bear with me. I am not a computer expert and I may use the wrong terminology, but I don’t think we are talking about the same thing.
    Take the following as the basic scenario. I use a Swiss French keyboard which makes the \ a sign that can only be made by clicking the Alt GR key and the \ key together. The \ sign is on the same key as < and >. For this reason, I changed the combination for invoking 1P mini to Ctrl-Alt-à, much easier on my keyboard because the fingers are spread out.
    Imagine I am at my desktop and signed into 1P and I want to go to the Forum-. I click my combination of Ctrl-Alt-à and it opens IP mini.
    I open my Favourites and highlight the Forum. That done I hold my Shift key down and left click of the Highlighted Forum. Somewhere in the past you mentioned to me that by holding the Shift key down I avoided going to my home page and then to the URL selected.
    What happens next is one of three things:
    1. The web site is selected, the log in page presented, the log in details are completed and the log in is submitted. Success. This happens about 20% of the time.
    2. The web site is selected, the log in page presented and the process stops and I have to click on the 1P mini icon on the tool bar and click again on the highlighted URS (the forum in this example), the log in page is populated and submitted.
    3. The web site is selected, the log in page presented, the log in details are completed and the process stops and I have to click on the 1P mini icon on the tool bar and click again on the highlighted URS (the forum in this example), the populated log in page is submitted.
    Versions 2 & 3 happen approximately an equal number of times and add up to about 80% of all attempted log-ins.
    Finally, it does not depend on which site I am trying to access. There is no consistency here. To continue with my example, sometimes I can get into the Forum immediately but 80% of the time I have an intermediate step, (2 or 3).
    To write this message tonight, version 1 happened. When I wrote the post at 07:54 today it was version 2.
    I hope I have been clear. Thanks for bearing with me.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

This evening to review the latest posts, it was version 3.

• bundtkate
    edited June 2020

To simplify Mike's idea above, @Andrew42, he's suggesting you skip the shift key when selecting the Login item from mini. This wasn't always the case, but some folks wanted a way to open a site from 1Password, but not fill, so we added the shift modifier to prevent filling. The intended behavior when using Shift would be your scenario 2. Now, it sounds like there may still be some misbehavior here since you're seeing things fill and submit on occasion, but the thing you want to happen is that misbehavior. Skip the shift, do everything else the same, let me know if that works any better. :+1:

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Got it. Version 2 for Firetrust Forum, Version 1 for Agilebits Forum in that order today.

• Any consistency with a single Login, @Andrew42? That is, do you always (or close to always) see version 1 when visiting our forum when not using shift? What about with other sites? Do any sites that regularly give you trouble require opening a pop-up or similar to reveal a Login form?

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

There, @Bundtkate, is the problem: no consistency. As I wrote on June 5 when I outlined the three versions, I never know which version I will get when I try to access one of my vault records. 20% of the time, the log in goes smoothly. The other 80% result in a hang-up at one of the intermediate stages. All I can add is that I never get the problem when, as now, I am using my iPad. It is only only on my six year old HP Windows 10 laptop, which is my principal device, that I get this behaviour.

• Strange, @Andrew42. Aside from keyboard layout, there is really no divergence between your setup and my own – I use the companion extension in Brave as well – and about the only time I run into filling troubles is when I'm trying to cause them. :lol: I think we might want to peek at some diagnostics here, but my inclination is actually to wait on that until the next beta release. I can't promise it's coming soon, but that's the goal, and it fixes a number of issues that I could see being potentially related to what you're seeing. Enough so that I'd probably want to retest and take another look afterwards if we were to dive in right now. Would you be okay hanging tight for a bit and letting me know if the beta helps any when it arrives? If something goes horribly wrong and it's delayed a longer period, I will let you know so we can dive in now, but if things stay true to plan, I think waiting is the wiser choice. Alright with you?

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Absolutely, @Bundtkate. I am in no hurry as my 1P is perfectly functional. Today, by the way was V2 to get to the forum. In my last post I should, perhaps, have made clear that when using my Ipad I do not expect 1P to log me in automatically. I know it always stops having populated the log-in screen, i.e. V2.
    I'll get back once the new Beta is available.

• Hi @Andrew42,

Try the 1Password 7.6b1 that we have just released now, it has this fix that sometime caused oddities with opening sites and filling:

[FIXED] Direct filling could fail if 1Password was locked and Windows Hello was then dismissed and re-enabled. {OPW-4823}

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Thanks. Just updated to 7.6.776 Beta. Hope this is what you meant. It comes with a long list of changes, improvements etc. I'll let you know how I make out after a few days.

• Yes, that's the beta build. I'll try to include the beta build number next time.

Thanks!

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

I cannot find the thread on this and I know I have written about it previously. When I use 1P currently the login either stops with the log in page open or with the login page open and completed but not submitted. This has been occurring frequently the last ten days but I cannot remember if it started with a 1P update or with a clean reinstall of my PC. My normal practice is to open 1P mini via CTRL-Alt-à (my shortcut), select from my favourites and press enter. When the login stops either at the log in page or with the login completed but not submitted, I click on the 1P icon on my browser and select the item displayed and the log in completes. I'm submitting here because I do not think this a Beta issue.

1Password Version: 7.6.780 Beta
    Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
    OS Version: W10 pro
    Sync Type: dropbox

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Andrew42:

I cannot find the thread on this and I know I have written about it previously.

Is is possible you were referring to this discussion?

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Thank you @ag_ana , that’s it. The issue is exactly the same.

• I feel like I keep doing this to you, @Andrew42, but I think it would be best to hang tight for the next beta and see if that improves things. There are a few go & fill tweaks planned for that update. I can't say for sure when it's going to land yet as I know a few fixes are still undergoing testing and getting merged in, but it's working its way through the pipes.

If you're still having the same trouble with the new beta, we can take a closer look then. Hopefully we'll both be energized by a nice, big W on Wednesday and be super ready to tackle things with renewed vigor. :wink:

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Thanks @Bundkate. No problem. It is not as though I am not functioning. I am. Everything works, just not seemlessly. I'll let you know, one way or the other once the next Beta is issued.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Andrew42: :+1: :)

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

@bundtkate , if by next Beta you meant 7.6.781, it has made no difference at all, but as I got this only a day after your post, I suspect you may be referencing and next one.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Andrew42,

It is possible that the fixes for your issues were not included in the latest 7.6.781 beta release. They are still coming, though.

I will confirm it with Kate and we will post an update here soon. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• Nah, that was the one I was referencing, @Andrew42. I suspected it was going to be out soon, but you know how that goes. Don't want to jinx it. :wink:

One thing I thought was going to make it in there ended up not happening, though, as we found it was an issue in the extension. I am not sure if that one quite aligns with what you're seeing anyway, though. And, of course, none of this was specifically targeted at you, it's just that some filling issues were fixed and you never can be totally sure what's connected so I thought it worth a short wait just in case.

Anyway, do any of these sites require you to click something for the form to show? What happens if you skip the filling portion (Shift + click on the URL in the main app), then use your filling shortcut (Ctrl + \ by default, probably different for you) to fill? Is that more consistent?

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

@Bundkate. I'm not sure I quite understand your third paragraph. But when, for example, in Brave, I click on 1P mini, go into my Favourites and click on this forum, the log-in page comes up but does not populate. I have to click again on the 1P mini icon, select Agilebits which is the only option showing and hit Enter. Then the log-in completes. If the log-in page populates and then stops I do exactly the same routine and the log-in completes.

• Ah, it's all coming back to me, @Andrew42, sorry. We took a bit of a break so I forgot the song and dance we'd gone through before. Don't worry about that paragraph, we've been through that stuff before. Let's give this a try – what happens if you got to your desktop app (not mini), click on favorites, then click the URL for this forum in the item details with Brave open. Is behavior any different?

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Makes no difference. The log-in page came up but did not populate until I click in 1P mini and click on the displayed Agilebits. What I have noticed, however, and this occurs whether I open the desktop app,or 1P mini. When the log-in page comes up but does not populated I can simply click in either the email address box or the password box and 1P will show my log-in details, (Password hidden) but not submit them until I hit enter, so I don't have to open 1P mini to get the log-in page to populate. However this latest tweak only populates it does not then submit.

This discussion has been closed.