1P neither not filling or not completing Log-In

Options
Andrew42
Andrew42
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I find my 1P is increasingly freezing during the log-in process. I nealry always use 1P mini which for me is Ctrl-Alt-à as I have a Swiss French keyboard. One of two things happens and it happens whether I hold the Shift key down or not. Either 1P brings up the log-in screen and does not populate it or it populates it and does not submit. In each case the resolution is to open 1P mini and click on the log-in item again. Any thoughts why this should be happening on a regular basis and with any of my records? I use Brave.

1Password Version: 7.4.767 Beta
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: W10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Andrew42!

Do you see the same behavior even if you fill the item logins directly with the Ctrl+\ keyboard shortcut, instead of opening mini to do it?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good, thank you :+1:

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Andrew42,

Just to be clear, when you say freeze, what exactly is freezing? Is 1Password mini showing up and then freeze doing nothing or you press the shortcut and nothing fills until you try again?

Also, do you use Windows Hello?

• MikeT
    Options

@Andrew42,

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand. Shift is a hotkey to suppress Open and Fill, it is not supposed to do anything other than open the site. If you include Alt key, it will not fill either because by default, Control + Alt + \ or AltGR + \ will only show 1Password mini without filling.

You can change the shortcut in 1Password general settings:

The one you want is Fill Login or show 1Password, try one that fits your keyboard. That will fill the item right away.

We have a known glitch where 1Password may not fill after unlocking, it's going to be improved in the upcoming beta.

• bundtkate
    edited June 2020
    Options

To simplify Mike's idea above, @Andrew42, he's suggesting you skip the shift key when selecting the Login item from mini. This wasn't always the case, but some folks wanted a way to open a site from 1Password, but not fill, so we added the shift modifier to prevent filling. The intended behavior when using Shift would be your scenario 2. Now, it sounds like there may still be some misbehavior here since you're seeing things fill and submit on occasion, but the thing you want to happen is that misbehavior. Skip the shift, do everything else the same, let me know if that works any better. :+1:

• Any consistency with a single Login, @Andrew42? That is, do you always (or close to always) see version 1 when visiting our forum when not using shift? What about with other sites? Do any sites that regularly give you trouble require opening a pop-up or similar to reveal a Login form?

• Strange, @Andrew42. Aside from keyboard layout, there is really no divergence between your setup and my own – I use the companion extension in Brave as well – and about the only time I run into filling troubles is when I'm trying to cause them. :lol: I think we might want to peek at some diagnostics here, but my inclination is actually to wait on that until the next beta release. I can't promise it's coming soon, but that's the goal, and it fixes a number of issues that I could see being potentially related to what you're seeing. Enough so that I'd probably want to retest and take another look afterwards if we were to dive in right now. Would you be okay hanging tight for a bit and letting me know if the beta helps any when it arrives? If something goes horribly wrong and it's delayed a longer period, I will let you know so we can dive in now, but if things stay true to plan, I think waiting is the wiser choice. Alright with you?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Andrew42,

Try the 1Password 7.6b1 that we have just released now, it has this fix that sometime caused oddities with opening sites and filling:

[FIXED] Direct filling could fail if 1Password was locked and Windows Hello was then dismissed and re-enabled. {OPW-4823}

• MikeT
    Options

Yes, that's the beta build. I'll try to include the beta build number next time.

Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Andrew42:

I cannot find the thread on this and I know I have written about it previously.

Is is possible you were referring to this discussion?

• I feel like I keep doing this to you, @Andrew42, but I think it would be best to hang tight for the next beta and see if that improves things. There are a few go & fill tweaks planned for that update. I can't say for sure when it's going to land yet as I know a few fixes are still undergoing testing and getting merged in, but it's working its way through the pipes.

If you're still having the same trouble with the new beta, we can take a closer look then. Hopefully we'll both be energized by a nice, big W on Wednesday and be super ready to tackle things with renewed vigor. :wink:

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Andrew42: :+1: :)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Andrew42,

It is possible that the fixes for your issues were not included in the latest 7.6.781 beta release. They are still coming, though.

I will confirm it with Kate and we will post an update here soon. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• Nah, that was the one I was referencing, @Andrew42. I suspected it was going to be out soon, but you know how that goes. Don't want to jinx it. :wink:

One thing I thought was going to make it in there ended up not happening, though, as we found it was an issue in the extension. I am not sure if that one quite aligns with what you're seeing anyway, though. And, of course, none of this was specifically targeted at you, it's just that some filling issues were fixed and you never can be totally sure what's connected so I thought it worth a short wait just in case.

Anyway, do any of these sites require you to click something for the form to show? What happens if you skip the filling portion (Shift + click on the URL in the main app), then use your filling shortcut (Ctrl + \ by default, probably different for you) to fill? Is that more consistent?

• Ah, it's all coming back to me, @Andrew42, sorry. We took a bit of a break so I forgot the song and dance we'd gone through before. Don't worry about that paragraph, we've been through that stuff before. Let's give this a try – what happens if you got to your desktop app (not mini), click on favorites, then click the URL for this forum in the item details with Brave open. Is behavior any different?

This discussion has been closed.