1Password and iPhone RESET/RESTORE from backup?

williakz
williakz
Community Member
edited June 2020 in iOS

My brother has a problem with the rear camera on his iPhone 8 Plus. He was advised to perform a complete reset of the iPhone (delete all data/reset all settings) followed by a restore from backup made just before the reset. How, if at all, will this procedure affect the 1Password iOS currently installed and running on the phone (1Password for Mac/1 Password X is also running on an iMac). All OS and application software are latest NON-beta versions (with the exception of the iMac's 10.13.6 High Sierra). Thanks in advance for any info and guidance you can provide.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

What sync method is your brother using in the 1Password for iOS app?

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

Whatever comes with vanilla 1Password Families.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

So it's 1Password.com, thank you for the confirmation. In this case your brother can reinstall the 1Password app after the reset, and add his account to the 1Password app once again. If he is not using any third-party sync methods such as iCloud or Dropbox, this will restore his 1Password data.

Make sure he has a copy of his Emergency Kit and that the knows his Master Password so he can successfully login to his 1Password account after reinstalling the app.

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

So 1P iOS functionality will NOT be restored from backup? Will he need to delete whatever 1P stubs ARE restored before going through the app reinstallation/account addition procedures? Thanks for the reminder on the Emergency Kit and MP—he's covered there.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

No, functionality won't be restored: iOS backups do not include 1Password application data, so a restore would at best just reinstall the 1Password app, but it will have to be configured again. Because of this, there is no need to do anything special other than launching the app and adding the account again.

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

Thanks, @ag_ana. I'll let you know if we run into any 1P issues.

Oh, one quick question. If for some reason—such as the rear camera still not working after the reset/restore—1P's account scan code can't be read, I see there are fields in the Add Account screen for manual input. I'm clear on what to feed most of them, but what is the proper response and format to: "Sign-in address"?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

That's the account URL: it's typically https://my.1password.com. But that information is also included in the Emergency Kit for confirmation.

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

Thanks again.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    edited June 2020

@ag_ana: Thought I'd let you know that the reset/restore on the iPhone went well (didn't fix the rear camera, though). Funny thing is that all 1Password iOS needed was my brother's MP to fire right up. It came up already connected to the proper account on your server. No reinstallation or adding/configuring account was necessary. FYI

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Even better! Thank you for the update (but sorry to hear about the camera still not working).

This discussion has been closed.