Feature Request: Generated User Names

BenjaminMetzler
BenjaminMetzler
Community Member

Currently 1Password generates random passwords. I would like to request random user ids as well. Ideally this would allow the user to specify a pattern or domain that would be included in the random user id.

I own my own domain. This allows me to give every service a unique email address. I've been using a pattern for my login names that looks like domain@example.com so if I sign up for companyX they would get a domain like companyx@example.com.

I understand that this is probably not a typical use case but it is an incredibly powerful option when it comes to securing email logins as any given user would have a unique email address for every given service.

Ben

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @BenjaminMetzler

Well, we have at least two things in common. We both go by Ben, and we both do the companyx@domain.tld thing. I'd love to have support for that in 1Password. I think there are likely a very small percentage of 1Password users that do this though, so I can't make any promises, other than to say I'll mention it to the rest of the team for consideration. :)

Ben

• BenjaminMetzler
    BenjaminMetzler
    Community Member

Thanks Ben. I also think the user base is quite small as well but anything to make signing up for services easier :-).

Ben

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

You can use the password generator to create a string that you then use as your user name. I've done it once or twice using the word-based option with three words.

• Thanks, danco, for that suggestion. I like it. :)

• anon4321
    anon4321
    Community Member

Hey @Ben I am a product manager at Anonyome Labs. I'm currently researching where the digital privacy/security industry is going regarding email/user names.

I see that there is a movement underway to make logins/email more anonymous. Best practice (for privacy) would be to provide a single use username/email per site, just like a password.

There are many privacy app/services beginning to offer email proxying for example. I see in 6 months most privacy tools will offer this service.

Right now it's a matter for the user to generate a user name in one browser extension, then generate a password in 1Password, then save both details.

In an ideal world there is pluggable interface in 1Password for this so that our shared user segments can interoperate their tools of choice, while using 1Password as the user interface. The majority of our users already use 1Password, I would love to connect to a PM/designer/researcher on your team in the browser extension area if one could spare the time?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing your feedback on this as well @anon4321! :+1: Please feel free to reach out to us via email at support@1password.com and our team will be able to forward your request to the right person :)

• james1lytle
    james1lytle
    Community Member

+1 +1 +1! A thousand times yes. A popular competitor for this burnermail charges $40/yr. I would gladly pay that to 1P if they had the feature integrated.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for letting us know @james1lytle :) I have noted your feedback internally :+1:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#120

This discussion has been closed.