Should I download 1Password X or 1Password 7?

Options
chippersons
chippersons
Community Member

Hello! My wife and I share a 1Password family account. I've just purchased a new MacBook Pro (yay!), so I'm setting it up to use 1Password. I see on the 1Password downloads page that there are now several options! Do I need to download more than one app? I plan to try and use Safari the most, but will likely also use Chrome from time to time, so it sounds like I should download 1Password X rather than the 1Password Chrome extension. But I also store a few things in 1Password that I don't necessarily access when using a browser. Many thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.15.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:what should I download

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @chippersons

I'd be happy to help with that. If you intend to use 1Password in Safari then you would need the 1Password 7 for Mac app. This app includes the extension for Safari. For Chrome you could either use the companion extension or 1Password X. 1Password X is newer, but it doesn't lock/unlock with 1Password 7 (yet), whereas the companion extension does. It's really a matter of preference. You could try each and see which you like better, though I'd recommend only installing one at a time (i.e. install one, try it, uninstall it, install the other, etc). :)

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.