News User - Two Questions

I am new to 1Pasword and using it on Windows 10 and Android, both the app and the browser (Chrome) extension 1Password X. I have two questions:

1) When creating new logins, I often get two entries for one login. One entry has the correct icon for the site and the website address, the other has the generic login icon and no website address. What am I doing wrong?

2) Is there any way to prevent 1Password (and X) from asking for my master password, even if I have used it previously in the same session? It seems to do this only sometimes, at other times it doesn't ask for the master password a second time. I have turned Auto Lock off in Settings in both the app and browser extension, but these settings sometimes get reset for no apparent reason.

Thanks for any assistance.

1Password Version: 7.4.767
Extension Version: 1.19.1
OS Version: 10.0.19041
Sync Type: 1Password account

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @JWadle47 ,

1) When creating new logins, I often get two entries for one login. One entry has the correct icon for the site and the website address, the other has the generic login icon and no website address. What am I doing wrong?

It sounds like a Password item that is automatically created when you use the passwords generator, but that shouldn't happen if you use 1Password X, so if you can, please upload a screenshot here of such an item so we can understand what it is. Make sure to censor out any sensitive information as this is a public forum. What I want to see is the icon of that item and where exactly you're seeing it.

2) Is there any way to prevent 1Password (and X) from asking for my master password, even if I have used it previously in the same session? It seems to do this only sometimes, at other times it doesn't ask for the master password a second time. I have turned Auto Lock off in Settings in both the app and browser extension, but these settings sometimes get reset for no apparent reason.

1Password X stores its settings in your Browser's local storage, so if you clear your browser's cache (or if you have a 3rd party extension/app that clears it), it will clear 1Password X's settings as well, and you'll need to set it up again every time the cache is cleared.
    Do keep in mind that 1Password X will lock if you close the browser completely, regardless of the auto-lock settings, since 1Password X doesn't know what happens in your system after you close the browser and can't tell what changed since. That is a security measure.

• ajlowy66
    ajlowy66
    Community Member
    edited June 2020

Hi, regarding the second question above, which I also have, the response doesn't seem to provide a solution.

By default, browsers don't spontaneously clear cookies and cached items, and don't do so unless you tell them to. I re-checked this on two browsers I use and they are not set to clear anything.

So why does 1Password keep auto-locking when I have the appropriate settings applied (even during the same browser session, which I rarely close)?

How would I tell if one of my third-party extensions has a rogue element that selectively removes cached data from 1Password X? (Nothing else seems to be cleared for any other app or website.)

• Hey @ajlowy66. Just to confirm, these settings are applied under 1Password X and not a desktop 1Password app, right? Sometimes users will adjust auto-lock settings on the Mac/Windows app side of things and not in 1Password X itself, so I just want to make sure we aren't running into that. :smile:

• ajlowy66
    ajlowy66
    Community Member

Hi ag_michaelc, thank you for pointing that out! I have changed the settings on the browser extension (mini-app; "1Password"). But why does the macOS desktop app ("1Password 7") still keep locking itself?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ajlowy66:

I have changed the settings on the browser extension (mini-app; "1Password")

Just to make sure we are looking at the same thing here: this discussion is about the 1Password X browser extension. If by "mini-app" you mean 1Password mini, the one that runs in your menu bar, that is connected to the desktop app, and it's not a browser extension.

Is 1Password X the actual browser extension that you are currently running?

This discussion has been closed.