1Password X (macOS + Firefox) suggesting identities for username and password fields

blz
blz
Community Member
edited June 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

This isn't a big deal at all, but just figured I'd ask if this is a known thing.

On various websites for which I don't have any passwords (or any 1P items) saved, 1Password X is prompting me to fill in ... identity entries. It will prompt in the password field, usually, but sometimes the username field. It'll just have a whole list of every identity I have saved. Any idea why? For the websites it happens on, it will happen every time. For other websites, it never happens. As an example, one of the sites it happens on is a standard Outlook Web Access page I can use to log in to my work email.

I'm running the latest release versions (no betas or anything) of macOS and Firefox, and it's happening on both my iMac and my Macbook (same software on both).

The only other extension I have installed in my browser is uBlock Origin, which seems an unlikely culprit. If it matters, I'm the owner of a Teams account (it was and is really a Families account, but I needlessly upgraded to Teams, thinking it would give me security features it wouldn't, oops).

I'm fairly certain this is limited to 1Password X, but just in case, I did mark all my identities as "do not suggest in browser" in the main desktop program. I don't see an option like that in X or in the web account when I click "edit" for an identity in X.

Thanks for any insight. Hopefully I'm not missing something super obvious. :)

1Password Version: 7.5 (70500003)
Extension Version: X 1.19.2
OS Version: macOS Catalina 10.15.5
Sync Type: 1Password Subscription (Teams)

Comments

• blz
    blz
    Community Member

Just an update for anyone interested: I created a separate vault for identities and moved them all in there, and set that vault not to appear in All Vaults. And it is no longer happening.

Still though, weird.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @blz! Welcome to the forum!

And thank you for the update. Moving identity items to a different vault is a good idea, but we can certainly take a look at the specific websites to see if there is something we can do. Can you give us a URL of an Outlook Web Access page for example, so we can test it? Thank you!

• blz
    blz
    Community Member

Is there a way for me to send it privately? I’d rather not have my work URL linked here.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@blz:

Absolutely: please feel free to email it to us at support@1password.com, and one of our browser experts can take a look and test it.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• blz
    blz
    Community Member

The ticket number is: #VFF-57662-384

Just to further clarify, this is happening on sites where I have no entries at all saved in 1Password, and none of my entries reference the URLs or anything like that. It seems weird 1P would prompt anything (other than maybe to suggest saving a password when I log in). Also, why only identities? Bizarre!

Thanks, and obviously this is no rush whatsoever. I don't really mind having a separate vault for the identities in my account, but it's unnecessary other than as a workaround for this. The only thing I use separate vaults for is to keep safe-for-travel and not-safe-for-travel items in distinct areas. Tags are my main mechanism to organize entries.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@blz:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your message in our system :+1: Someone will take a look and will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Just to further clarify, this is happening on sites where I have no entries at all saved in 1Password, and none of my entries reference the URLs or anything like that. It seems weird 1P would prompt anything (other than maybe to suggest saving a password when I log in). Also, why only identities? Bizarre!

I think that 1Password X will show you identity and credit card items as default suggestions. I am not sure that there is a way to change this default behavior at the moment (other than using a separate vault, as you suggested), but we can start by taking a look at this specific website to make sure there is nothing wrong with it ;)

ref: VFF-57662-384

This discussion has been closed.