New iPad Pro, trying to add account

DHenderson
DHenderson
Community Member

Hello,

I have a standalone license for my Macbook Pro. I have never synched my account to Dropbox. I have a new iPad Pro; I'm trying to login to my 1Password app, and I cannot. I have THREE DEGREES AND I CANNOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO USE THIS APP ON A SEPARATE DEVICE. I do not have a secret key. I cannot GET a secret key. So I've effectively purchased something that can be used on one machine? And you want me to pay monthly to be able to access my information on any other machine?

Is there a way to use my standalone license on different machines--yes or no? If not, I am going to use another service. I've been using 1Password for years, and it has become so convoluted and money-grabbing that it no longer makes sense in my life.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password 6 dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DHenderson! Welcome to the forum!

Only users with a 1Password subscription have a Secret Key. If your data is on Dropbox, you won't have one, so you are trying to login to the wrong section of the app.

In your case, when you launch the 1Password app for the first time on your iPad, please select the Dropbox option in the list. From what you described, you chose the 1Password.com option instead.

• DHenderson
    DHenderson
    Community Member

I've never synced to Dropbox--the whole purpose of 1Password (for me) is to secure my logins to one device. So I HAVE to sync to Dropbox in order to use it on another device?

Also, if my 1Password 6 account is frozen, I literally cannot upgrade to 7 using the same account? Do I have to sign up for an entirely new account in order to upgrade to 7? And then find a way to sync my old 6 info? AgileBits, you are really making this miserably difficult for no reason.

• DHenderson
    DHenderson
    Community Member

Also:

I try to login to my account. It says I already have an account...so I can't login to my account. You understand the cyclical nature of this and how it is driving me insane.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2020

@DHenderson:

I've never synced to Dropbox--the whole purpose of 1Password (for me) is to secure my logins to one device. So I HAVE to sync to Dropbox in order to use it on another device?

I see, thank you for the clarification! It looks like I misread your section about Dropbox in your original post, sorry about that! If you have never synced your data anywhere, it means that all your information is stored locally on your old device then.

In this case, you need to either set up sync (Dropbox is one option, but it's not the only one), or move data manually from one device to the other by exporting your information, and importing it on the new one.

I try to login to my account. It says I already have an account...so I can't login to my account. You understand the cyclical nature of this and how it is driving me insane.

It is possible that you created a 1Password account some time ago, but from what you wrote it sounds like you let the trial expire and you never used it. I would suggest reaching out to our support team via email at support+forum@agilebits.com so they can check your account status privately and confirm whether this is something that you have been using or not.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

This discussion has been closed.