Where would one store a physical floor safe combination?

ErnieS
ErnieS
Community Member

So, you don't allow custom categories. I have a floor safe and I'd like to store the combination to that safe in 1Password. Where would one logically store this so it could easily be remembered and recalled?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:where to put a safe combination?

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2020

@ErnieS ,

Use either a Password or Login category (w/out a URL or Username), or use a Secure Note (perhaps with a custom field). Your choice.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ErnieS!

I would use a Password item. But ultimately, you can store it wherever you prefer, and where it makes it easier for you to find.

• ErnieS
    ErnieS
    Community Member

These are good suggestions but the solutions will make the combination very hard to recover from 1Password should one of my executors go looking for it. Too bad there is no way to have another custom category, even if a catchall 'Other.'

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2020

@ErniesS

I have a Secure Note called "Locks - Combinations"

I have every combo lock entered in it.

1. Car door codes
    2. Bicycle locks
    3. computer/luggage
    4. Kids/Grandkids piggy banks
    5. iOS devices/Apple Watch
    6. Parental Controls Apple TV and other phone with screentime restrictions.
    7. Ecobee
    8. Netflix
    9. Special use cases.

You could also add tags to the item like:

code, lock, pin, executor, will, estate, That may greatly help you executor.

• kyle_k
    kyle_k
    Community Member

Are custom categories part of 1Password’s roadmap? Any anticipated release date or priority?

• Hi @kyle_k

As a rule we don't discuss future plans with any specificity. I understand that can be frustrating, but we try to keep ourselves in a position where we can be agile and adjust to changing demands. Putting a roadmap out limits that flexibility. Custom categories/templates currently exist in beta for 1Password Business. Outside of that, nothing that I could say at this time that wouldn't be speculation.

Ben

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni

What I do is probably more work than others are willing to do, but I co-opt secure notes and custom icons to create things like this. So here is what is really a security note, but is an example of what I use for a local backup drives.

Backup drive secure note

Once I've created one, I can copy it to use as a template for other ones. I tend to only find this kind of thing worthwhile if I have more than one of the same kind of thing. So I might not bother setting up a specific custom item I have a single combination lock, but I might do it if I have several.

BTW: The machine that this was a Time Machine backup for no longer exists, and I don't think I'm leaking too much information by revealing what is in this image as if anyone were to gain physical access to the particular drive, it has everything you see here written on the case.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

I do something similar, but wish you would offer proper templates, which is currently in beta in a business product, I think?

• @XIII

That's true. :)

Custom categories/templates currently exist in beta for 1Password Business.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.