Locked out of my account. Please help.

Options
AaronABZ
AaronABZ
Community Member

Hello

So recently I reset my phone (forgetting I had 2-factor authentication set up for 1password).

As a result, I can no longer sign in to 1password as I don't have the 6 digit code from the Google Authenticator app. I've tried logging in on various browsers with no success.

I still have access to my passwords (due to having the 1password app on both my mac and windows machines). However I can't see anyway of disabling 2-factor authentication on these apps.

I did submit an email to 1password support (#TTK-38689-448) but don't know when I'll hear back. Is there anything I can do?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @AaronABZ

The best (only) thing to do, if you've already checked that none of your devices are authorized, is have our security team reset 2FA for you (via email). They try to answer inquiries in the order received, usually within 24 hours or less. I apologize for the inconvenience. They'll be in touch to verify your identity soon.

Ben

ref: TTK-38689-448

• AaronABZ
    AaronABZ
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben.

Thanks for the response. They got back to me and that's the issue resolved!

Turns out you can disable 2-factor authentication via the Apps. I didn't realise this.

Aaron

• Ben
    Options

@AaronABZ

Ah yes, indeed! That's actually a relatively new thing. For anyone else who might stumble across this post and be in the same situation:

Mac

1. Open and unlock 1Password on Mac.
    2. Select 1Password > Preferences > Accounts. Click your account, then click Turn Off Two-Factor Authentication.

Windows

1. Open and unlock 1Password
    2. Go to the Accounts menu, expand the account you wish to disable the 2FA on and then select Turn off two-factor authentication

Mobile

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Tap Settings > 1Password Accounts. Tap your account, then tap Turn Off Two-Factor Authentication.

For this to work, you must've already authorized the 1Password app on one of your devices that you still have access to. Thanks for letting us know that resolved it. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.