Autofill has ceased working on QNAP QTS 4.4.2.1270 Login Page

Hello,

Since upgrading to QTS 4.4.2.1270 the Autofill feature in 1Password X has ceased to detect the Username field any more and is now not filling the Username value. It is still filling the Password field and if I manually enter the Username myself I can successfully move to the OTP page which is then successfully completed by 1Password. This is happening in both Firefox and Chrome.

I manually entered the values for Usernname and Password and then used the option to save a new login. When I looked at the Saved Form Details in the new entry the Username field did not exist.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.5.BETA-0 (70500000) 1Passwor
Extension Version: 1.18.1
OS Version: 10.15.14
Sync Type: N/A
Referrer: forum-search:QTS 4.4.2

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ausernie! Thanks for getting this on our radar. I've attempted to do some research, but I'm not finding the sign in page you're referring to. Would you mind sending me the website URL so I can test it out on my end?

• ausernie
    ausernie
    Community Member

Hello Kaitlyn,

You won't be able to find it because it is the login page for my local NAS and not accessible from the internet. :-)

I have taken a couple of screen shots to try and show you what is happening.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@ausernie – Ah, that makes perfect sense. You mentioned that you saved a new item, and the username didn't exist. Did you try manually editing the item and adding your username to it? If so, did that affect filling at all?

I'm also wondering if you're able to right click the username field, then select Inspect. I'm not positive if it'll work, but generally that brings up your browser's built in dev tools. If that does work, I'd love to see a screenshot of the code that appears. It sound automatically show code for the username field if you right clicked inside of it. Let me know if you have any trouble!

• ausernie
    ausernie
    Community Member

Hello Kaitlyn,

I did save the page as a new login when I manually entered the username and copied the password from the existing entry in 1Password. However, the username field was empty. I then manually entered the field (using username as the tag/fieldname) however, that didn't work either.

Here's what's displayed when I inspected the field:

and the saved web form for the entry in 1Password:

• ramblingpolak
    ramblingpolak
    Community Member

I've actually also opened an issue with QNAP support about this. It looks like they changed the username field from an input element to a textarea for some reason. Would love any possible workaround besides downgrading to QTS 4.4.1.1216 (which I confirmed does work).

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@ausernie – Thanks so much for sending over the screenshot! @ramblingpolak pointed out the issue – the username field is a textarea. As far as I know, that's not a field that 1Password X would generally fill. In fact, I can't think of any other form that uses a textarea for a username/password field off the top of my head. I spun up a site locally with the code in your screenshot, and I confirmed the same. Changing the field to input completely resolves the issue and causes the username field to properly save and fill using 1Password X. I wonder what prompted them to make that change in the first place. 🤔

@ramblingpolak – I think reaching out to QNAP was the right thing to do here. As much as I wish I could come up with a workaround, textarea fields really aren't something that 1Password should be filling. I can imagine the multitude of other issues it would cause if we did fill textarea fields. Let us know if you hear back from them. I'm pretty curious about it.

In the meantime, I confirmed that you can still drag and drop your username into textarea fields. I tend to prefer drag and drop over copy and paste just because it's a smoother experience, but copy and paste would work just the same. Downgrading isn't normally something I suggest, but it sounds like that resolves the issue as well (thanks for that confirmation, @ramblingpolak).

• ramblingpolak
    ramblingpolak
    Community Member

Thanks for confirming @kaitlyn
    I’ve also provided this thread to QNAP support for reference.

• ausernie
    ausernie
    Community Member

Thanks for the support @kaitlyn and @ramblingpolak

Much appreciated.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@ramblingpolak – That's perfect.

You're very welcome, @ausernie!

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

I catched that problem too... But with the companion extension instead of 1Password X. (on Windows as well as macOS)
    It's a little bit unfortunate QNAP just changed that field to a textarea...

@ramblingpolak Could you update us here if there is any response from QNAP on this, maybe they are already considering to revert this, I don't want to open them a second case if there is already one :chuffed:

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@lumarel – I agree, it's definitely strange. Using a textarea field as a username isn't best practice either. I'm looking forward to hearing an update as well!

• ramblingpolak
    ramblingpolak
    Community Member

I poked QNAP for another update on this and here was their reply:

they converted this bug report into feature request.

after that, we still requested this should get resolved. they give no response.

there is not much we can do on our side. sorry about that.

So, QNAP support is saying QNAP development reclassified this as a feature request not a defect and stopped responding...
    Regretting ever purchasing QNAP and will never again.

I would encourage every one of you experiencing this problem to file a support ticket as well and include a link to this thread. Perhaps if there's enough complaints they'll actually take it up. Meanwhile all you can do is live with the issue or downgrade to the last working version.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@ramblingpolak – Thank you for your efforts. I appreciate it, and I know everyone else in this thread does as well. ❤️

I'd be interested in hearing QNAP's reasoning behind making a username field a textarea, as it's not something I've seen in the past. There may be some sort of benefit that I'm not understanding, though.

• ramblingpolak
    ramblingpolak
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

another update from the QNAP team:

Here is the feed back from the RD team.

"A new firmware version has changed the design to avoid the browser automatically fills in incorrect information and causes the login to fail."

Please accept this change, and hope the RD team can revert to the old design if this feature request can be approved. Thanks for your understanding.

To me this sounds like it was done intentionally to prevent autofill which is weird. Again, would highly encourage other QNAP users on this thread to open support tickets with them about this.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2020

@ramblingpolak – That's a huge bummer. I know of at least one other user who has reached out to QNAP, so hopefully it'll sway their opinion a bit.

• ramblingpolak
    ramblingpolak
    Community Member

For those affected by this I've come up with a simple workaround:

You can just edit the login.html file in /home/httpd/cgi-bin on the nas and change the field to an input instead of textarea. Worked like a charm for me. Mind you this edit may not survive upgrades and you'll have to apply it again. Here's a diff

--- login.html
    +++ login.html.bak
    @@ -69,7 +69,7 @@
     <div class="host-name ">&nbsp;</div>
     </div>
     <div class="anim-scale delay-2">
    -<div class="field input-field"><span class="user-icon"></span><input class="qStr" data-qStrPh="LDAP_SERVER_STR12" id="username" autocomplete="off" ></input><span class="reset-icon slice-img"></span></div>
    +<div class="field input-field"><span class="user-icon"></span><textarea class="qStr" data-qStrPh="LDAP_SERVER_STR12" id="username" autocomplete="off" ></textarea><span class="reset-icon slice-img"></span></div>
     <div class="field input-field"><span class="pwd-icon"></span><input class="qStr" data-qStrPh="QUICK04_STR09" id="pwd" type="password" autocomplete="off" /><span class="unmask-eye"></span></div>
     </div>
     <div class="anim-scale delay-3">

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the suggestion @ramblingpolak! We appreciate all the effort you have put into this :+1:

• f2pnt8
    f2pnt8
    Community Member
    edited June 2020

Thank you @ramblingpolak! your solution helped me :)

I wanted to pass along the method I used to make the changes in the file as it does not require anything but a text editor and a command line.

Steps to edit and upload the login.html file

1.) Verify our command line access to the the NAS

On the NAS:

Login to the Admin account and turn on SSH and SFTP

This is under Control Panel > Network & File Services > Telnet and SSH (see photo)

Note: If you do not use SSH I strongly advise that you turn it off after you have completed these steps.

2.) Download the file from the NAS

On your local computer:

For Win (or any FTP / SSH App)

On Win you will need to use a program like PuTTY (Free).

Login in to the NAS as the admin account using SSH on port 22, unless you set a custom port. The remote host directory should be set to "/" for the root directory.

The file to edit is located at /home/httpd/cgi-bin/login.html on the NAS

The permissions for the file should be:

Owner: admin
    Group: administrators
    Permissions: -rw-r--r-- or 0644

For Mac and Linux

Open a command line tool ( Terminal on Mac and Linux ). Please note that we will be logging in as root so we will not need to use the sudo command.

We are going to use the tool SCP ( secure copy ). When SCP asks for a password it is requesting the Admin password of the NAS.

To Download from the NAS:

scp -P [port] username@remote:/file/to/get.ext /where/to/put

To download the file to your Desktop on Mac

# scp -P 22 admin@[IP ADDRESS OF NAS]:/home/httpd/cgi-bin/login.html /users/[MAC USERNAME]/Desktop/

example:

# scp -P 22 admin@192.168.0.1:/home/httpd/cgi-bin/login.html /users/jackorjill/Desktop/

To download the file to your Desktop on Linux (Ubuntu)

# scp -P 22 admin@[IP ADDRESS OF NAS]:/home/httpd/cgi-bin/login.html /home/[LINUX USERNAME]/Desktop/

example:

# scp -P 22 admin@192.168.0.1:/home/httpd/cgi-bin/login.html /home/jillorjack/Desktop/

3.) Edit the login.html file

The login.html file should be on our desktop. Open the file in a text editor (or any program able to edit html) and make this edit:

On or around line 72 (as of QTS 4.4.2.1320) change:

<div class="field input-field"><span class="user-icon"></span><textarea class="qStr" data-qStrPh="LDAP_SERVER_STR12" id="username" type="text"></textarea><span class="reset-icon slice-img"></span></div>

to

<div class="field input-field"><span class="user-icon"></span><input class="qStr" data-qStrPh="LDAP_SERVER_STR12" id="username" type="text" /><span class="reset-icon slice-img"></span></div>

Save the file.

4.) Upload the file back to the NAS

The SCP command format changes a little when uploading

To Upload to the NAS:

scp -P [port] /file/to/send.ext username@remote:/where/to/put

To upload the file from Mac:

# scp -P 22 /users/[MAC USERNAME]/Desktop/login.html admin@[IP ADDRESS OF NAS]:/home/httpd/cgi-bin/

example:

# scp -P 22 /users/jackorjill/Desktop/login.html admin@192.168.0.1:/home/httpd/cgi-bin/

To upload the file from Linux (Ubuntu):

# scp -P 22 /home/[LINUX USERNAME]/Desktop/login.html admin@[IP ADDRESS OF NAS]:/home/httpd/cgi-bin/

example:

# scp -P 22 /home/jillorjack/Desktop/login.html admin@192.168.0.1:/home/httpd/cgi-bin/

5.) Logout of the NAS, clear your cookies and cache, and Log back in to test. There should be no need to restart the NAS.

6.) All Done.

For security reason remember to TURN OFF ssh on the NAS if you turned it ON in step one.

I hope that you have found this to be helpful :)

Some Notes

The SCP command "flag" -P is to set the port. The default is 22 and is set on the NAS on the same Control Panel page as in the first step. If you are using a custom port make sure you change it in the command. Also, you must use the upper case "P".

This tutorial assumes that your admin username for the NAS is "admin". If you have set it to something else you will need to adjust the commands accordingly.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you so much for taking the time to share these instructions with the community @f2pnt8!

(And welcome to the forum! :) )

• Pato77
    Pato77
    Community Member

@1Password staff: I hope you don't mind me posting the following info related to this issue.

Thanks to the ones who've find out how to make it work. I got it to work also! :) Unfortunately, I've noticed after a restart, the changes made were reverted to the old situation. Anyone had the same problem, and perhaps also knows how to make the changes permanent?

Created a ticket with QNAP, and answer they've send me:
    I believe this falls on the Web Browser you are using, I am using Chrome and I have my unit updated to 4.4.2.1320 the latest version and do not come across this issue, it remembers both my user ID as well as password.

I'm not sure if they understood the problem or don't want to. Also, they (he/she) mentions that it REMEMBERS the login data so probably they would just think the problem is with remembering the login data so no login is required... but I've mentioned this to them to verify. I'll keep you posted if I receive any more replies.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you @Pato77. Absolutely, please feel free to update the discussion when you hear anything back :+1:

• PeakXV
    PeakXV
    Community Member

I've also got a ticket logged with QNAP support on the modification of their QTS login page. The response I have had so far is:

"I have reported the issue.
    But I believe they have changed this for a reason and might not change it back depending the reason."

I'll report back if I get anywhere. It's frustrating when you have multiple QNAP NAS devices to manage.

• Thanks for reporting this to them, @PeakXV.

• setec__astronomy
    setec__astronomy
    Community Member
    edited June 2020

Have the same problem.. filed a bug with qnap last night linking to this thread.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you as well @setec__astronomy :+1: :)

• setec__astronomy
    setec__astronomy
    Community Member

Latest info :)

Thank you for the reply.
    Yes, I am agree with you that this can be resolved in the html tag as per discussed in the thread.
    And as you have mentioned also in thread that this was resolved in downgrading the FW version to 4.4.1 also provide me a hint to escalate the issue with our developer team which considered as our 2nd level support.
    They will be requiring the following information I have ask for them to check and reproduce the issue if bugged related.

Unfortunately they demand that I send in a system dump which includes private keys etc so I won't take my issue any further, but atleast they are aware of it. I only hope they can notify the devs on the html form being broken without knowing every inch of my machine :-)

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @setec__astronomy ,
    Thanks for letting us know how it went!

It sure is weird they're asking for your system dump for such a simple issue. You can instruct them to right click the username in the login page and select "Inspect", which would reveal the username field is of type="textarea" instead of type="text", which is the whole issue really.

If you do need any more info from us, do let us know.

• setec__astronomy
    setec__astronomy
    Community Member

Yay, good news.

Thank you for the reply and clarification.

I have checked logs with other cases same with you and currently requested for feature request.

Please note we do not provide the status or timetable for new features.

I hope in the upcoming FW version, this is already fixed.
    While waiting for the fix version, you may use the workaround for awhile.

Thank you for your time and support.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

That's great to hear @setec__astronomy! Thank you for sharing :)

• IvanPeters
    IvanPeters
    Community Member

I've added another support ticket to their queue.

This discussion has been closed.