Dialog Boxes

I am a brand new user (well, maybe) of 1Password and this appears to be the only way to ask a question (no email???).

This is on the most recent Windows version of 1Password (253), working with IE 8.

The question I have is this: Quite a few secure company web sites I have use this approach: The portal login page has only a number of buttons on it. In case of my wife's employer, there is a button called "Employee Login" and one called "Manager Login". Clicking that button brings up a dialog box asking for the user ID and password. 1Password is completely oblivious to that dialog box and there is no way to save a fill-in entry for it.

Is there any way around that?

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the forum, Chris!

First, you can contact us here in the forums, at our support site, or [email="support@agilebits.com?subject=(1Password%20for%20Windows)%20YOUR%20SUBJECT%20HERE"]by e-mail[/email]—whichever method you prefer.

Without knowing the URL, it's impossible to say exactly what's going on at that site. It's certainly true, though, that certain technologies (ASP and Flash being the most common examples) can give 1Password a hard time.

For such a site, you may be able to create a simple Login item using the method described in Saving a Login item in the Tutorials section of the user's guide.

If that doesn't work, you can create Login item within 1Password itself: In 1Password tool bar, click the Login+ tool, and enter the URL, username, and password for the site, along with a name by which you can identify it.

Once you have a Login item for the site, you may be able to use the auto-type feature to fill the login form.

I hope that helps, Chris. Please let us know how it goes.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2011
    If you are referring to HTTP Authentication prompts, there is not currently a way for 1Password to access those other than by using the auto-type feature to which David linked above.

20111228-fdpg6et8u9n88c421d58wf9au6.png
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    khad wrote:

If you are referring to HTTP Authentication prompts, there is not currently a way for 1Password to access those other than by using the auto-type feature to which David linked above.

...and to log in using auto-type, you'll need to have created a Login item by one of the methods described above.
  • ChrisHerd
    ChrisHerd
    Community Member
    1. Thank you very much for the speedy reply. I'll experiment and see what I can get to work.

2. I'm familiar with Flash, not with ASP. In any case, I have no way of knowing (or do I?) what technology generated any particular dialog box.

3. I have attached a JPG picture of what I'm seeing. What made that dialog box?

• ChrisHerd
    ChrisHerd
    Community Member
    And another very common dialog box occurs in iTunes. When updating an app, much of the time a dialog box pops up to ask for the user name and password. How is that one generated? There isn't a URL associated with it, as far as I can see.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    ChrisHerd wrote:
    I have no way of knowing (or do I?) what technology generated any particular dialog box.

You can look into the HTML source of the page (or of just the login form); otherwise, only something obvious (like a .asp file extension) would tip you off.

I have attached a JPG picture of what I'm seeing. What made that dialog box?

It's almost impossible to tell without knowing the URL. Again, "inspect element" or "view page source" are the usual tools for determining the nature of the page in question.

BTW, when I look at forums, then click on Sign In in the top right corner, a sign in dialog box opens. What generates that?

Again, it depends on what forums you mean. There are lots of different open source, shareware, and commercial forum packages in use around the Internet.

I can tell you that 1Password works fine with our own forums.
  • ChrisHerd
    ChrisHerd
    Community Member
    We've gotten completely off topic.

The topic is: 1password ignores dialog boxes that pop up to ask for login information. The URL of the web page referred to by the above picture is, btw, https://portal.adp.com/public/index.htm.

If I use the above procedure for creating a forced log in, all I get is the underlying web page (the page under the dialog box) and that page has no user id or password field. I get a bare-bones login saved that has none of the fields present (user id and password) that I need to log on. Therefore, I can't modify those fields to the correct information, and therefore I can't use the auto-type feature (I think).

Ditto with the dialog box I get inside iTunes. How do I create a 1password entry so I can even get to the auto-type option if 1password can't detect the dialog box?

Bottom line: The auto-type in an entry appears to be a way around a logon procedure involving dialog boxes, but I've got to be able to create an entry from scratch, then pop it up when I'm looking at the input fields.

Makes sense?

And now that I think of it, perhaps that would be a feature request. Create an auto-type vault (like logins or wallet) that isn't tied to a URL. Clicking an entry brings up the entry's custom-entered fields (whatever they might be) with an auto-type button for each. Then, I could tab from field to field in whatever input form I have with the left hand and click the appropriate auto-type button with the right hand. Am I explaining this right?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2011
    The topic is: 1password ignores dialog boxes that pop up to ask for login information. The URL of the web page referred to by the above picture is, btw, https://portal.adp.c...ublic/index.htm.

That is an HTTP Authentication prompt. They will all look like your screenshot on your machine in the same browser. Different browsers in different versions of Windows will style them slightly differently, but a modal Windows dialog box is a pretty surefire indication of an HTTP Auth prompt if it pops up from a website. Regardless, any non-web-form login will require auto-type.

As mentioned in the auto-type guide to which we've linked a few times: "You can even use it with programs that aren’t web browsers. You just need to have a Login item saved with the username and password."

Just create a new Login item from with the main 1Password application and leave the "Location" field blank (File > New Item > Login). The guide describes the steps to use the feature. :)

We will continue to work on improving its ease of use. Thanks for your feedback. If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!
This discussion has been closed.