Can we stop 1Password from searching through Previously Used Passwords?

As above, previously used password on an entry had resemblance to another which causes both entries to show up on search results.
Possible to turn off this feature since being able to search into password fields isn't really good security.

Issue happens on iOS as well.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @alantcy,

By default search in 1Password 7 for Windows includes all fields. I wonder why you think that this is a bad security? I mean, if someone is able to unlock 1Password with the Master Password (that is known only to you) and do a search within your vault, the security has been breached anyway.

Moreover, I would not recommend you to create incremental passwords for your items. It is a bad practice. 1Password allows you to generate unique passwords, so you could have totally different passwords every time. This way, the issues with search that you bumped into will not affect you.

Could you please give it a try and let me know how it works for you? Thanks!

++
    Greg

• alantcy
    alantcy
    Community Member

Hi Greg,

This actually stemmed from the fact that I had created the new entry via Duplicate and then changed passwords subsequently.
    But because Duplicate also captured the Previously Used Passwords from the original entry (and so happens that I had the site's name as part of the password), now searching for the new entry also shows the original entry in the results.

Is it possible to erase Previously Used Passwords in the record?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @alantcy,

When you duplicate an item in 1Password, the previously used passwords are removed. For example, here is a Nord VPN item that I have in my Test vault (I can access a previously used password there):

However, when I duplicate that item, this previously used password is removed:

Could you please specify how did you duplicate your item? Did you duplicate your item and then updated your password? Please clarify. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• alantcy
    alantcy
    Community Member

Sorry, maybe it was the other way round!
    But anyways, is it possible to remove the Previously Used Passwords in an entry?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @alantcy,

Please try to duplicate an item. This will remove the previously used password in a copy and you will be able to delete the original item.

Let me know how it works.

Cheers,
    Greg

• alantcy
    alantcy
    Community Member

Thanks Greg, duplicating the entry worked. :)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@alantcy: I am glad to hear that it worked! :+1: :)

We are always here for you, so do not hesitate to reach out to us anytime.

Stay safe,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.