To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I'm a long time user and I'm being billed $5.99/month. Why so high?

wdlasch
wdlasch
Community Member

I've been using 1Password for many years. I use it on my Mac laptop, an iPad, and an iPhone. How do I get a lower monthly fee? This rate is not competitive and I'll need to switch if I can't get it back in line.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I'm being billed $5.99/month - why so high?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2020

@wdlasch: A 1Password Families membership is approximately 6$US per month when billed monthly, so that sounds about right. You'd only be charged that by signing up for the membership and then setting up billing for a subscription. You can manage that through the web interface if you subscribed there:

https://start.1password.com/billing

We can't discuss any account-specific information here in a public forum though, so if you have further questions about your account please shoot us an email at billing@1password.com so we can help you with that. Cheers! :)

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2020

The AgileBits staff will work out what went wrong and help you deal with it.

For the benefit of others, I would mention that, as @brenty said, that price is for a family membership charged monthly. The price is less if you only want an individual membership (which covers all your devices) and lower still if you pay yearly rather than monthly.

1PW is still a fairly expensive program, but I think the benefits make it worthwhile.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@danco:

and lower still if you pay monthly.

I believe you meant yearly here :)

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Yes, of course. I've edited my post to make it correct.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you :+1: :)

• dangit
    dangit
    Community Member

When I signed up for a free trial account, it automatically had me in at the $6 / month rate. I panicked and closed everything out to start over. Found by default it's pushing you into the family plan instead of the individual plan rate.
    I'm liking the product so far, but it does seem a bit steep compared to Lastpass. We will see.

• Thanks for the feedback, @dangit. I'd be interested to hear: where did you sign up? On our pricing page there is no default - you have to select which you'd like in order to proceed:

https://1password.com/sign-up/

Ben

• dangit
    dangit
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

I just tried it again (BTW, it's $5, not $6). Go to 1password.com. Click Personal and Family. Look at the options, "1Password" and "1Password Families." Observe the prices, but click neither.
    Click the blue (Try 1Password FREE) button in the top right.
    Enter your password and 6 digit code that's emailed to you.
    Enter your credit card information, and see at the very bottom, "On August 24, 2020, you’ll be charged for the year at $4.99/month."
    Panic! That's not the right price! I wanted to pay less than the $2.99/month. Close your browser, flush your cache, brush your teeth, turn your monitor off, on, off, on, off. Cry softly. Type 1Pa... turn your monitor on. Type 1password.com in your browser and start over. This time, select the individual plan and click try for 30 days.
    If you click the button in the top right it defaults to family.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@dangit:

Panic! That's not the right price! I wanted to pay less than the $2.99/month.

For clarification: $2.99 is our lowest price, so there is no option lower than that. But thank you for sharing the steps that you followed with us! Did you manage to correctly create an Individual account after all?

• dangit
    dangit
    Community Member

Is it less than 2.99/month if you do an annual plan?

• $2.99 USD + tax (if applicable) per month is the lowest price for 1Password. That is the price for an individual membership when billed annually. Thanks for letting us know about the situation with the trial defaulting to 1Password Families if you don't choose an option from the pricing page. I wasn't aware of that. I'll speak with the team and confirm that is the intention.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.