Duplicate password on a different vault

I have a password in a shared vault. I want to duplicate it in a personal vault (i'm the administrator), or i would like to move it to my personal vault and remove it from the shared vault.

The thing is: i created the password in Personal vault, then i shared it, but i no longer want it shared and want to move it.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:move from shared vault to personal

Comments

• Hi @jsarachaga

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I'd be happy to help with that. You can move the item from the shared vault into your Personal vault if you wish. We have a guide which outlines how to move items available here:

Move and copy items

I think this is a good opportunity to point out that the only way to revoke secrets is to change them. If someone had access to a secret (e.g. a password) and you want them to no longer be able to use that secret, you need to change the secret. There is nothing to say that they didn't memorize it or write it down while they had access to it. So, if you want to be the only one who can access this password, you should change it after moving the item out of the shared vault.

Additionally please be advised that moving an item from a vault will result in a copy of the item being placed in the trash in the origin vault. You may want to empty the trash after moving the item.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jsarachaga, welcome to our forum! :chuffed:

In 1Password, all vault permissions must be explicitly granted to users or groups; the only exception to this is that members of an account's Owners group are automatically granted management permissions on all non-Private vaults. While you may be a member of an account's Administrator's group, that doesn't automatically mean you have the permissions required to move an item out of a vault you have access to.

To be able to move an item out of a vault, you must have either "Allow Editing" permissions (1Password Teams), or "Move Items" (1Password Business); see our guide to managing vault access permissions here.

If you have management permissions on the vault in question, you can grant yourself the required permissions; otherwise, you'll need to ask someone with management permissions on the vault to grant you the permissions.

Don't forget; when items are moved from a vault in 1Password, you'll find the item in the source vault's Trash folder afterwards, so you'll want to empty the Trash for that vault as well. When the Trash is emptied, items from the Trash go into the vault's archive, so you may also want to destroy the item from there as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.