Non-browser password suggestions (MacOS)

I use 1Password for all logins, not just those that are browser based. This includes passwords used only within specific apps, such as a VPN client. 1Password Mini attempts find the password, however the UX for this is not ideal as there is no apparent way to label a password to suggest for an app. The "app name" that 1Password shows has no path to copy/paste or otherwise add it to a login entry for future matching. Even when attempting to manually add the "app name" to login entries it is not obvious where that name should be placed in order for 1P to suggest the login.

This is the suggestion dialog:

I have tried to add ciscoanyconnectsecuremobilityclient as the URL for the login entry, but that didn't work. What is the process to get these suggestions to work, and can you please improve the UX to allow copying/adding/updating that URI to logins?

1Password Version: 7.6.beta-4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Xipper

Could you please try app://ciscoanyconnectsecuremobilityclient in the website field, instead of ciscoanyconnectsecuremobilityclient? macOS 11 Big Sur has some interesting capabilities that should hopefully make this whole process easier when it is released, but for now hopefully that works.

Ben

• Xipper
    Xipper
    Community Member

@ben I tried the suggestion, that did not work. Within the 1P Mini that showed no results I decided to use the generate password and to save it, that used yet another URI: app://com.cisco.anyconnect.gui Adding the app://com.cisco.anyconnect.gui URI to my existing login did work. This is definitely an example of needing to improve the UX for this, as there is nothing that would help a user make that association.

• Indeed, it is a bit of a hidden feature. With autofill coming in Big Sur I don't suspect we'll be making significant improvements to this unless we determine that autofill won't be the path forward. It is still very early but some initial reaction to autofill from our team can be found here:

More Big Sur-prises: Password AutoFill on macOS!

:)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.