Windows Hello Needs to Shut Up :-)

This isn't strictly a 1Password question. However, while I really like the option to unlock via Windows Hello, I find the notification sound that it makes unhelpful and annoying. Has anyone found a way to turn this off?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dimdem!

I personally have not found a way to do this. I have searched for a way to do it, but it seems like you either disable all system sounds, or keep them all, I don't think there is currently a way to disable a specific sound.

• Hi @dimdem!

Please check what you have in your settings following this steps:

1-Go to start menu.
    2-Type Control panel and open Control Panel
    3- Choose "Hardware and Sounds"

4- Choose "change system sound"

5- Under "sounds" Tab click on "open program" that is after "Notification" and make sure that it is set to None.

also make sure you are using "windows default"

Please make sure you have this settings and let me know if you still hear the sound.

• dimdem
    dimdem
    Community Member

Hi-
    Yes, I already had those settings in place, so I can confirm that I do still hear the sound.
    Thanks,
    Dale

• Hi,

I have setup window hello on my system and I am using windows default sound theme, I don't get any notification sound when I login to my 1Password app using window hello. I think you have some other setup in your sound theme that triggers this.

• dimdem
    dimdem
    Community Member

Perhaps, although one of your team members seems to be having the same experience that I am. Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@dimdem:

ag_maryam is the Windows expert, so it's entirely possible that I am the one who is doing something wrong :)

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member

Hm, I wasn't seeing this prior to updating to v2004, but am now seeing this. Looks like it's "Default Beep" that's causing it. Unfortunately I don't have any other programs that use Hello to unlock, but given that Hello was given a once-over in v2004, it may have had a beep added to draw attention to the "hey something needs you to biometrically authenticate" dialog.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

given that Hello was given a once-over in v2004, it may have had a beep added to draw attention to the "hey something needs you to biometrically authenticate" dialog.

Thank you for the suggestion @plttn! It's indeed possible that a Windows update changed this behavior.

@dimdem: is it possible that you are running Windows 10 version 2004?

• dimdem
    dimdem
    Community Member

I am, yes. One thing that I've noticed is that it seems to be somewhat inconsistent as to whether there is a sound or not, but I have worked out yet whether there is a pattern. But if it's the default beep sound that does it then I might just make it silent and call it a day. :-)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Understood, thank you for the update :+1:

This discussion has been closed.