1P Mini won't show if Firefox with 1Password X extension is in foreground

Firefox 76.0.1

If Firefox is in the foreground and I click on 1P in my Menu Bar it flashes but never appears. If I click on the background or some other app (TextEdit, iTerm, etc.), then 1P in the Menu Bar, it then appears as expected.

1Password Version: 7.6.BETA-1
Extension Version: 1.19.1
OS Version: 10.15.5
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the report, @bmorgenthaler! You mentioned you currently have 1Password X 1.19.1 installed, but this is the 1Password X beta forum category. That could very well have been a mistake, but I'm wondering if you see the same behavior when you install the 1Password X beta instead. You can find the direct link to the 1Password X beta for Firefox here.

• bmorgenthaler
    bmorgenthaler
    Community Member

@kaitlyn Ahh you are correct, that Firefox profile didn't have the correct extension installed. I've now tried it with proper version and it's working.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@bmorgenthaler – I'm glad to hear that fixed things!

• bmorgenthaler
    bmorgenthaler
    Community Member

Okay so the previous report was because of different extensions installed but the same issue is happening in two different scenarios. Two Firefox instances running with different profiles, profile A with 1Password X Beta installed and profile B without.

Scenario #1: In Profile A (1pX Beta installed), when a basic auth dialog appears, if it is in the foreground I cannot access 1Password Mini in the tray to get credentials.

Scenario #2: When Profile B (No 1pX Beta) is in the foreground 1Password Mini won't open from the tray.

Currently Installed:
    macOS: 10.15.5
    1Password: 7.6.BETA-4
    1Password Mini X (Beta): 1.20.4

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@bmorgenthaler:

For confirmation, by "tray" you mean the macOS menu bar at the top of the screen, correct?

• bmorgenthaler
    bmorgenthaler
    Community Member

@ag_ana Yes that is correct, I mean the menu bar at the top.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@bmorgenthaler:

Thank you for the confirmation. Would you be able to share a URL of a website where this is happening, so we can test it here too?

• bmorgenthaler
    bmorgenthaler
    Community Member

I'll see if I can find one publically available but all of mine are internal websites.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good @bmorgenthaler, thank you. I will see if I can find a way to replicate this as well.

• bmorgenthaler
    bmorgenthaler
    Community Member

@ag_ana Here's a site with basic auth: https://peterholdmann.com/authtest/index.html

Also the same behavior happens when a firefox private browsing window is open in the foreground and the 1Password X extension isn't allowed to run in private sessions.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you @bmorgenthaler! I have tested the behavior you reported with that site open and I was able to open mini even when that website showed the login dialog. For the test, I also ran the latest 1Password for Mac beta and the latest 1Password X beta, on macOS 10.15.5, like you.

I wonder if there is some other difference in our 1Password configuration that is causing this. Do you perhaps have desktop app integration enabled in 1Password X?

• bmorgenthaler
    bmorgenthaler
    Community Member

Yes I do have "Integrate with 1Password for Mac" enabled in the 1Password X settings.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2020

@bmorgenthaler:

Thank you! I managed to reproduce this when "Integrate with 1Password for Mac" is enabled. I will open an internal issue so our developers can take a look at this :+1:

ref: dev/core/core#1955

This discussion has been closed.