Permission to record the computer screen

hesspaul
hesspaul
Community Member

A user sent me an alert that 1Password is asking for permission to record his computer screen. Is this legitimate? See screen shot.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hesspaul!

This permission is needed for scanning QR codes (to configure two-factor authentication on websites and also to scan your Setup Code to configure your 1Password app instead of having to type your login information manually).

• hesspaul
    hesspaul
    Community Member

Thanks @ag_ana! Since they denied the access is there a way I can have them allow it again, or at least to reset the denial so that the dialog will come back up next time the need it?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@hesspaul:

Yes, if you open macOS Preferences > Security & Privacy > Screen Recording, they should see 1Password in the list (unchecked). If they check the 1Password 7 entry again, they will grant that permission again :)

• hesspaul
    hesspaul
    Community Member

I looked in my own Security & Privacy and do not see Screen Recording as a suboption. Within the Privacy tab the only suboption that includes 1Password for me is Camera. I'm on Mojave (10.14.6) and this is on Catalina (10.15.*). Is Recording a new setting in Catalina?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Yes, it's a new menu in Catalina @hesspaul :)

• dev___rim
    dev___rim
    Community Member

hi @ag_ana i do not have 1password listed on Security & Privacy > Screen Recording, how do you add it there?

• Hi @dev___rim,

It'll only be there if you're using the version of 1Password from our website (not the version from the App Store). Could you please confirm which you have installed?

Ben

• dev___rim
    dev___rim
    Community Member

hi @Ben i don't remember. should i uninstall and reinstall from your site?

• @dev___rim

Wouldn't hurt. :)

Ben

• dev___rim
    dev___rim
    Community Member

yup that fixed it, thanks! although i must say, 1password used to be a breeze, a delightful mac app, now it feels like it's outsourced to 5 different companies and merged together in-house in 2009... 1p mini keep telling me it doesn't see the extension, 1pX doesn't need the main program, vaults are awful, install from app store different than installing from website (seriously), adding a team member to a team is DMV level awfulness... alas.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@dev___rim:

1p mini keep telling me it doesn't see the extension, 1pX doesn't need the main program,

These two are probably connected. 1Password X does not communicate with the desktop application, it is an independent extension that you can use without having to install anything else separately. It sounds like you installed both (1Password X and the desktop app), from what you are seeing.

If you would like your extension to work with the desktop app, you should use the companion browser extension instead, or upgrade to 1Password X beta so you can use the new desktop app integration feature (if you prefer to continue using 1Password X).

vaults are awful,

Can you please elaborate on this? We would be happy to improve things if you could give us some specific feedback.

install from app store different than installing from website (seriously),

I agree, this is a very recent change due an Apple update, so we had to remove the feature from the Mac App Store version of the app unfortunately.

adding a team member to a team is DMV level awfulness

Can you let us know how you think the process could be improved?

Thank you!

• do you know any chance that can be added back to 1Password.

Still possible when downloaded directly from our site, but I see no reason to expect it would be possible again in the future with downloads from the App Store, unfortunately.

Ben

• dev___rim
    dev___rim
    Community Member

@ag_ana you'd be much better served by a world-class UX person to point out all the shortcomings and suggest improvements, the best one i know is here, https://superpeer.com/chrismessina

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@dev___rim:

Thank you! :+1:

• ottopia
    ottopia
    Community Member

A simple workaround for Catalina and App Store version.

When the 1Password Code Scanner window opens up and askes to take a photo of a QR code with your camera, take a screenshot of the QR code using Shift+Command+4 and marque around the QR code. When the screenshot thumbnail pops up in the bottom-right corner of your screen, quickly grab it and drag-and-drop it into the Code Scanner window.

• Thanks for sharing @ottopia!

Ben

• ToddJonker
    ToddJonker
    Community Member

I continue to have this problem. I've installed from the website multiple times, yet 1Password does not appear on the Screen Recordings panel, and the app doesn't ask me to enable it. Scanning just doesn't work at all.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ToddJonker:

What version of the 1Password app are you currently using, and on what operating system version?

• ekaranto
    ekaranto
    Community Member

I have the same problem as @ToddJonker.
    I used to have the App Store version which I removed few days ago. I installed Version 7.5 (70500003) 1Password Store
    I'm on Catalina 10.15.5 but still can't get the 1Password to show in the Screen Recording application list

• @ekaranto

Since changing out versions, have you restarted your device? I would start there. It may be things are a bit unsettled after that changeover.

• ToddJonker
    ToddJonker
    Community Member

1Password 7 Version 7.5 (70500003) 1Password Store
    macOS 10.15.5 (19F101)

I've restarted between deleting and re-installing.

• ekaranto
    ekaranto
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

Unfortunately the restart did not help ::(

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ToddJonker, @ekaranto:

Since you both restarted already, can you try one more thing? Can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunching 1Password? Do you see any improvements?

• ekaranto
    ekaranto
    Community Member

Did the full Quit and restarted laptop, unfortunately still no go.
    Is it possible that just deleting Mac Store app from Applications is not enough to reset everything?
    Old files under ~Library/... causing grief?
    Do you have a definite guide on how to fully uninstall 1Pass?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ekaranto:

Do you have a definite guide on how to fully uninstall 1Pass?

We do, you can find it here:

How to uninstall 1Password

Please be careful however, because this procedure removes everything. So please make sure that you have all your login information handy, and that you are able to reinstall 1Password again before attempting this.

• ekaranto
    ekaranto
    Community Member

I performed the procedure twice.
    Second time I found some more 1pass related files under ~/Library/Application Scripts/ which might be worth adding to the uninstall documentation.
    Yet when I launch a freshly installed 1Pass from your store and try to setup my 1Password account it already knows about it.
    Also checking the Screen Recording Preference still no 1Pass :(

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ekaranto:

Yet when I launch a freshly installed 1Pass from your store and try to setup my 1Password account it already knows about it.

That information is coming from iCloud, so that is normal, and should not interfere with the rest of the 1Password app after installing again.

I will test this a bit and see if I can reproduce it on my Mac.

• ekaranto
    ekaranto
    Community Member

Eventually worked it out! I assumed that just by re-installing the app, the permission would appear in "Screen Recording" by default and then I could tick it to enable it.
    The option appeared after I tried to scan a new OTP QR code.
    Happy days now!

Thanks for the assistance!

• Glad to hear that worked out, @ekaranto. Thanks for the update!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.