How do I prevent 1Password suggesting a password?

Options
robbiees
robbiees
Community Member

In signing in to my bank account I want 1Password just to enter my ID and leave me to fill in the password. I leave the password field blank in 1Password but when move into the password field on the bank's signin page it keeps on suggesting a strong password. Sometimes I don't see the popup asking if I want a strong password and I have to tab back into the ID field and back again into the password one so I can cancel the strong password suggestion and enter my own one. I've looked at the Preferences but can't see a way of turning this off.

1Password Version: 7.5
Extension Version: 7.5
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:How dos I prevent 1Password suggesting a password?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2020
    Options

Hi @robbiees!

From what you wrote, it sounds like you are using 1Password X in this browser, rather than the 7.5 extension you mentioned in your post. Can you confirm that this is indeed the 1Password extension that you have installed?

• robbiees
    robbiees
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana
    If I open up Safari on my Mac and look at Preferences/Extensions it definitely says “7.5 from 1Password 7”. Am I perhaps incorrect about where I’m syncing?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@robbiees:

Thank you for the confirmation. Sync is unrelated to the browser extension that you use, so we can ignore that part for now.

The reason I asked what extension you are using is that extension 7.5 in Safari does not autosuggest passwords. So if you are seeing passwords automatically suggested to you, you are either using 1Password X (which can suggest passwords), or the suggestion is not coming from 1Password at all (perhaps it's coming from Safari itself).

Do you mind posting a picture of one of these forms with the suggested password?

• robbiees
    robbiees
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana
    Here’s a screenshot of the bank’s page. It has entered the Personal ID (which I’ve scored out) and then when I tabbed down to enter the Security number it has entered a 3 and I didn’t see the pop up asking if I wanted a strong password.

• Ben
    Options

@robbiees

I suspect this may be coming from Safari itself. We typically recommend folks turn off any password management capabilities their browser may have to avoid conflicts. Could you please check and see if Safari is set to fill passwords and other fields?

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser | 1Password

Ben

• robbiees
    robbiees
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Ben
    Yes, switching off Usernames and passwords does cure this particular problem. However I do rely on Safari to fill in my passwords for other websites from my keychain. These passwords are also stored in 1Password but they are not automatically suggested by 1Password even if I’m signed on to it at the time whereas Safari does produce them right away.

Is there a way for 1Password to suggest passwords automatically?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@robbiees:

1Password does not fill information automatically without your request for security reasons. But if you already have those credentials in 1Password, you can use the 1Password browser extension to fill your information there too (and it will be even quicker if you use the Cmd+\ keyboard shortcut while you are on the login page).

• robbiees
    robbiees
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana
    I’d forgotten about this shortcut - in fact I had had to change it as I was using this for something else. I’ll give this a try in future and see how it goes.

Many thanks for your help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome @robbiees! Absolutely, if you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.