How do I prevent 1pw closing after just a few seconds?

Tiff_Sunbacon
Tiff_Sunbacon
Community Member

How do I prevent 1pw closing after just a few seconds?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:keeps closing too quickly on iOS

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Tiff_Sunbacon! Welcome to the forum!

Can you please elaborate? Specifically, what do you mean by "closing"? Does 1Password crash after a few seconds being opened?

• Tiff_Sunbacon
    Tiff_Sunbacon
    Community Member

Apologies for vagueness. On iOS 1PW stays open for just a few seconds. It doesn’t crash but it closes and I have to input my pw again.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Tiff_Sunbacon:

Thank you for the clarification. What is the version of the 1Password app that you are using on this device, and what version of iOS do you currently have installed. I would like to try and reproduce this on my own device.

• Tiff_Sunbacon
    Tiff_Sunbacon
    Community Member

Apologies for vagueness. On iOS 1PW stays open for just a few seconds. It doesn’t crash but it closes and I have to input my pw again.

• Tiff_Sunbacon
    Tiff_Sunbacon
    Community Member

1Password v 7.5.3 for iOS on an ancient iPad Air running iOS 12.4.6 (which is as far as this iPad will go)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you @Tiff_Sunbacon. I am running 1Password 7.5.3 too, on iOS 13.5.1, and I cannot reproduce this behavior: if I open the 1Password app and unlock it, it will stay unlocked until I either close it manually, or the Auto-lock timer expires (under 1Password Settings > Security).

I don't believe the iOS version is the problem here. Can I ask you to try rebooting your device once, and see if you still see the same behavior?

• Tiff_Sunbacon
    Tiff_Sunbacon
    Community Member

Re-booted and the same thing happened:

• opened discussions.agilebits.com to leave a comment
    • asks me to log in
    • Launch 1Password to find details
    • Which are wrong! Having just updated them on the same device - how ironic is that??
    • Go back to 1Password which has closed and is asking for my pw again. Given that my old iPad Air does not support touch ID this is an extremely irritating and tedious business
  • ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Tiff_Sunbacon:

Ah so it's not the main 1Password app that is closing, you are using the Autofill extension instead. Thank you for adding this information, that was an important part.

Which are wrong! Having just updated them on the same device - how ironic is that??

Make sure that the Autofill extension has had time to refresh after you updated information in the main 1Password app. To do so, open 1Password on your iOS device and go to Settings > Password AutoFill, and wait until data has updated.

Go back to 1Password which has closed and is asking for my pw again. Given that my old iPad Air does not support touch ID this is an extremely irritating and tedious business

Do you have Lock on Exit enabled under 1Password Settings > Security?

• Tiff_Sunbacon
    Tiff_Sunbacon
    Community Member

So the version of the app that opens when I tap the "Log into using 1Pasword at the bottom of my iPad screen is what you call the Autofill extension? That's the one that closes on me and i'm guessing you're going to tell me that it's supposed to. So I should use the app itself if I want it to remain open?

Lock on Exit is not checked.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Tiff_Sunbacon:

So the version of the app that opens when I tap the "Log into using 1Pasword at the bottom of my iPad screen is what you call the Autofill extension?

That's correct :+1:

That's the one that closes on me and i'm guessing you're going to tell me that it's supposed to.

Yes, I believe that the Autofill extension always has to authenticate with the main app. Normally this is made easier if your device supports Touch ID or Face ID.

So I should use the app itself if I want it to remain open?

No, but you should make sure you open the main app at least once: once the main app is unlocked, the autofill extension should work without requiring you to enter your Master Password every time (until the limits in the autolock settings are reached). But it sounds like in your case you were only authenticating directly inside the Autofill extension, which is why you were prompted for you Master Password every time.

• Tiff_Sunbacon
    Tiff_Sunbacon
    Community Member

once the main app is unlocked, the autofill extension should work without requiring you to enter your Master Password every time

Sadly that's not working but I'll have another go when I have a bit more time. It's exhausting!

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2020

On devices that do not support biometrics the only way for us to store the required secret in the iOS keychain, and keep 1Password unlocked after closing, is to set a PIN. This setting is in 1Password > Settings > Advanced > Security if supported by your device. You may also want to enable 1Password > Settings > Advanced > Security > Always show Lock Screen for Password AutoFill. That way 1Password will handle locking and unlocking, instead of iOS.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.