My master password no longer works on 1PW on my iPhone. How do I fix that?

Options
Quackerback
Quackerback
Community Member

I can open 1PW with face recognition on my phone, but of course not when wearing a mask. For some reason the master password that I use to open 1PW on my computer does not work on my iPhone. Aren't they supposed to be the same? If I changed it on my phone, I don't recall doing so. In any case, how do I make them the same password?

1Password Version: 7.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 13.5.1
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:My master password no longer works for 1PW on my iPhone. Why would it be different?

Comments

• @Quackerback

Have you moved to a membership and do you still have a Primary vault on the Phone? This can occur when someone has made the move to a membership and that Primary vault still exists on the device. That Primary vault often unlocks with an older Master Password.

We can help. Please let us know what you find.

• Quackerback
    Quackerback
    Community Member
    Options

That sounds familiar. I think I did the membership with my last upgrade, though I don't believe I changed the password. How do I tell if I have a Primary vault on the phone? I don't recall ever setting that up, but maybe that is just the default.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Quackerback:

Do you see a Primary vault if you open 1Password on your phone and go to Settings > Vaults?

• Quackerback
    Quackerback
    Community Member
    Options

I see a vault called "Personal". Below that are instructions for enabling standalone vaults, so I assume that my personal vault is not a Primary vault. Yes?

• Ben
    Options

If on the phone you have 'Personal' and not 'Primary' then it sounds like the phone is set up correctly, and the phone is unlocking with your account password. Could you please check the computer? Does it have a 'Primary' vault? You can check in the vault switcher at the top left of 1Password.

Ben

• Quackerback
    Quackerback
    Community Member
    Options

Aha, I have 2 vaults, one Personal and one Primary that is on iCloud. That Primary vault does not appear on my iPhone, so do I need to do a new sync?

• Ben
    Options

No, you would instead need to delete the Primary vault. :) Instructions can be found here:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

You should first verify that the Personal vault contains all of your data. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.