To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

No subscription = no secret key! Can't reinstall!

sputnik76
sputnik76
Community Member

I bought 1password back in 2016 and am now installing on my new mac. All of a sudden it wants me to enter a secret key to complete the set up which can't be done unless you buy a subscription (apparently). I don't want to buy a subscription. I want to use the software I paid for back in 2016. How do I do this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member

If you're using a standalone license copy, you have to use the version downloaded from 1password.com not the Mac App Store version. Are you using the App Store version?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sputnik76! Welcome to the forum!

In addition to what plttn suggested, it sounds like you chose the wrong option in the setup screen: instead of choosing where your data is stored (such as iCloud or Dropbox), it looks like you selected the 1Password.com option from the menu, which is not for you if you don't have a subscription.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

If you bought a licence in 2016 I am fairly sure it was for version 6 of 1PW. We are now on version 7, and for a security product it is a poor idea to stick with older versions.

Version 7 needs a new licence (or subscription), and unfortunately this now comes at full price (there were discounts for a year). You can still use version 6 if you insist, but will have to look for it on the AgileBits web site.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@danco:

If you bought a licence in 2016 I am fairly sure it was for version 6 of 1PW.

That's correct, 1Password 7 was not available back then :+1:

This discussion has been closed.