A large percentage of the time when I click on a website link in 1Password Chrome does not open.

Barryl
Barryl
Community Member

A large percentage of the time when I click on a website link in the Mac 1Password application, Chrome does not open. Instead the menu bar 1Password window opens. If I manually open Crome and click on the link again, the issue is resolved.

1Password Version: 7.5
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.15.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:chrome not opening

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Barryl!

I have just tested this on my Mac and Chrome always opened a tab when I click on the website link inside a 1Password item. Have you found a way to consistently reproduce this?

• Barryl
    Barryl
    Community Member

Nope. It seems random. When it doesn't the 1Password mini window always opens

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Barryl:

Thank you for the confirmation. I will keep an eye out to see if I spot similar reports to yours.

In the meantime, this is something worth trying: can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password? Do you still see the same behavior now?

• Barryl
    Barryl
    Community Member

Okay, ... I did it. Time will tell if it helps. Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome! Let us know how it goes :+1:

• BobBarker
    BobBarker
    Community Member

The only way I have ever been able to make 1password open from the website link is when the browser (Chrome) is not already open, and, if it is in the dock, it must be definitely closed. If not, the mini password browser opens instead. I use an app that closes the Chrome browser when not in use and does not just send it to the dock. This seems to be the only way to consistently open the target website

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@BobBarker:

I am a bit confused: you seem to be reporting the opposite behavior as the original user (in that case, Chrome would not open, which suggests that it's closed, while you are saying that it only opens when it's already closed). Can you confirm that this is what you are trying to describe?

• Barryl
    Barryl
    Community Member

Quitting 1Password completely did not help. It still happens. The 1Password mini panel is still opening.

My case is different that that of @BobBarker. It happens when Chrome is closed. If Chrome is open it seems to work always.

• Thanks @Barryl. In these cases is the Chrome app running (e.g. does it have a "dot" under it in the Dock)? Or is it quit completely?

Ben

ref: dev/apple/issues#3972

• Barryl
    Barryl
    Community Member

Quitting 1Password completely did not help. My case is different that that of @BobBarker. It happens when Chrome is closed.

• Barryl
    Barryl
    Community Member

In my case it is quit completely. ie. no dot. Opening Chrome manually first seems to fix the issue. In this case the window is displayed. Next time it happens I'll try closing the Chrome window after opening to see if the 'display' is a necessary constraint.

• Interesting. That seems different than the bug that we're aware of. What we're aware of is:

• If Chrome is not open, it works as expected
    • If Chrome is open with a window, it works expected
    • If Chrome is open with no windows, it activates but no windows are created

It sounds like you're in the first category, but it isn't actually working as expected.

Ben

• Barryl
    Barryl
    Community Member

I started this thread on July 4. The issue has successively been getting worse. About 50% of the time 1Password will not open Chrome.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Barryl:

Thank you for the update. So far we have not been able to reproduce the specific issue you are experiencing (when Chrome is fully quit). What version of the 1Password app are you running at the moment?

• Barryl
    Barryl
    Community Member

With all due respect I have never told a user that a bug cannot be resolved as it cannot be replicated.

1password v7.6 running on Catalina 10.15.7 with Chrome Version 86.0.4240.198. This has happened across numerous updates of 1password, the OS and Chrome.

Surely this can be tracked down without replication. Instead of Chrome opening, the effect is as if 1password's menu bar icon was clicked. Somewhere in your code there must be an indication as to what condition would cause the menu bar panel to be displayed as opposed to launching the browser.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Barryl:

Thank you for the confirmation! I will let your developers know about your experience as well, perhaps we will find a way to reproduce this, even though so far the bug we are aware of happens in the scenarios listed by my colleague Ben only.

• Barryl
    Barryl
    Community Member

In my case it seems to only happen when Chrome is not running (no dot on the icon in dock). If I manually open Chrome first everything seems to work. When I open Chrome there is a window on the display which I don't bother discarding so I do not know if a displayed window is required to avoid the issue.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Barryl:

When I open Chrome there is a window on the display which I don't bother discarding so I do not know if a displayed window is required to avoid the issue.

Our understanding so far is that the bug should only happen when Chrome is open with no windows. It's in this case that a new window has issues being created in certain cases, so actually having Chrome open with a window should work without problems.

• Barryl
    Barryl
    Community Member

Well my scenario is totally different. Chrome is closed with no windows to restore. I open 1password and click on a link. About 50% of the time Chrome simply does not open. The 1password menu bar panel opens instead.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Barryl:

Indeed, this is exactly what makes your experience different from the behavior we are aware of. We will see if we can track this down too :+1:

• Barryl
    Barryl
    Community Member

I first reported this issue in July. Since then it has, if anything, become worse with subsequent updates. Being a developer it is unfathomable to me that someone cannot track down Chrome not opening and opening 1Password menu panel as a replacement. I have an application which must open the current browser in a variety of was and it works 100% of the time in Chrome.

I think 1Password is a great application. I switched to it may years ago and I never looked back. However my user experience at this point is truly terrible. Clicking on a link in 1Password (open and fill) does not work enough of the the time that I dread using it. Click - does not work - dismiss the 1Password menu panel - manually open Chrome - click again.

• Barryl
    Barryl
    Community Member

I started this thread in July of 2020. It's now July of 2021 and still no fixes on getting 1password to work better with Chrome.

If anything, it's become much worse. I spend about half my day dismissing the little mini popup window; starting, or stopping chrome; manually entering passwords, etc. As I said, things have become worse. This issue is now tied to any one Mac as I use 1password regularly on two different Macs.

• @Barryl

Have you given thought to using the newer 1Password in the browser? At the time you started this topic you used the classic extension.

Get to know 1Password in your browser

• Barryl
    Barryl
    Community Member

I've been using the 1Password Mac desktop application which is what I'd like to continue using for a variety of reasons.

• Certainly, @Barryl. But alongside the 1Password for Mac application, you are/were using the 1Password Classic browser extension in Chrome, according to the version information you provided. That extension has been discontinued, and is no longer being updated. Switching to the newer extension may resolve the issue you're having.

Get started with 1Password in your browser

Ben

• Barryl
    Barryl
    Community Member

Okay, I'll uninstall the old extension and try the new. Thanks for the tip.

• Let us know how it goes.

This discussion has been closed.